On 8 December 2014 at 01:30, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 06 Dec 2014, at 10:37, LizR wrote:
>
> That's a curious question. The ruins and record indicate that there was no
> ancient civilisation that had anything like the knowledge or resources of
> modern day technology. For example, no ancient civilisation discovered the
> use of fossil fuels or nuclear power. One could argue that these things
> aren't in fact good for modern civilisation, but since we don't know how
> things will work out that would be presumptuous.
>
> For the nuclear resources, I follow you. For the use of petrol (dead
> plants), arguments (in favor of Hemp, 'course) already mentioned that it
> was not sustainable, and that it would disrupt life equilibrium in the
> middle run (a point made already by Henry Ford).

My point is that using fossil fuels MAY have bridged the gap from
preindustrial society to a sustainable postindustrial one - we don't know
yet.

> The fact is, all but the poorest people in the Western world has things
> that would have been unimaginable to the richest people of the ancient
> world. I would say that this does make our civilisation superior in
> important ways;
>
> It makes us more competent, but plausibly less intelligent.

Yes, I agree that is at least possible.

> I would certain prefer to be alive now than even 100 years ago.
>
> May be. May be not. It is very hard to evaluate. There are no absolute
> point of comparison. People from that period might get very depressed if
> living in our urban cities for a while.

Yes, I have to admit I was thinking *I* would prefer it - but *I* know
about life now. As someone said in a TV show once (I forget which) in which
someone from the past visited the present - "So what did they bring back
from the Moon? Some rocks? That doesn't sound very interesting...:"

> Indeed 100 years ago the routine gall bladder surgery I had a couple of
> years ago would have probably killed me (always assuming I'd survived
> childhood illnesses, childbirth and so on).
>

> We are better for the survival, but we might be astonished for the quality
> of life, even of the poors. It is very hard to judge. We have much more
> depression and suicides, we have much more elderly people abandoned by
> their family. We have much more fake conviviality and superficial
> happiness. We have new fears and new subject of despair (like atomic bombs,
> pollution, prohibition, ...). I just mean that I am not completely
> persuaded that the technological progresses made us more happy. The 20th
> century has also been a peak of inhumanity, notably through genocide, very
> cruel wars, including the cold one, rise of unemployment, etc. So I am not
> sure, I dunno, may be we can't really answer this.
>
> I find myself agreeing with you. I was trying to counteract the idea of a
"golden age" - that the past was much better than the present. (Certainly I
might well have died horribly in various ways in the past before reaching
my present age, but even so... to automatically extrapolate from what I
said to "we are therefore happier now" would be wrong.