On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Question is then how do you test if a medication works or not if not by
> correlation between those that take the medication and are better than
> those who don't?

You conduct a randomized trial where you compel one random group to take it
and another not to, such that you control one variable (taking/not taking
the drug).

If you don't control the experiment in this way, you can't differentiate
which is the correct causal relation is correct concerning the Drug Use (D)
and Effect (E), and a separate cause (S). Is it:

1. D -> E
2. E -> D
3. S -> E and S -> D

All three of the above scenarios will result in an observed correlation,
but in only one of them is it true that not using the drug will reduce the
presence of the effect.

> If it's not what you imply,  what makes you think those studies don't use
> a comparison group of people who don't use cannabis? because if they didn't
> did that they'll only point out a correlation and I would agree with you it
> means nothing per se.

The reason I doubt a controlled study was performed is because it is
illegal and essentially banned even for research purposes. It's far easier,
and less legally questionable to study existing users and compare them to
others who habitually don't. But this can't differentiate from case (2) or
case (3) above.

In such studies there's the notion of "compliers", they are people who try
to follow all the health device they're given, they exercise, floss
regularly, don't smoke, or drink excessively, don't do drugs, etc. However
the presence of compliers represents a huge confounding factor in all kinds
of studies, because even the belief in "drugs are bad for you" will (on
account of these compliers) become intercorrelated with all kinds of other
things compliers do. So if exercise helps with depression, and compliers
both exercise and don't do drugs, now you may be mislead into thinking drug
uses causes depression, when really it would be that exercise reduces it.
There was one study I saw published that sound flossing reduces heart
diease. Does it really, or might it be one of these compliance-related
correlations? We won't know unless we force one large group to floss and
another large group not to for a significant period of time and see how
many develop heart disease.

> So I took ypur comment as dismissing without any other reason than wanting
> to dismiss.

I did not mean to come off that way. Thanks for understanding.

Jason