On 08 Mar 2015, at 23:47, meekerdb wrote:

On 3/8/2015 2:07 PM, LizR wrote:
On 9 March 2015 at 05:36, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 07 Mar 2015, at 09:36, LizR wrote:
I thought <>P meant P was possible?
In the alethic interpretation of modal logic, <> means possible, and [] means necessary.

Before I get lost in logic, just going by the verbal descriptions...
Am I right in thinking that "p" means "p is true" ?
So p -> <>p would mean "p is true implies that it's possible p is true"

In the temporal interpretation of modal logic, <> means sometime, and [] means always.

p is true implies that p is sometimes true

In the locus interpretation of modal logic, <> means somewhere, and [] means everywhere.

...somewhere...

In the deontic interpretation of modal logic, <> means permitted, and [] means obligatory.

p is permitted (by whom?!)

etc.

Note that all "<>" interpretation are form of possibility (alethic, temporal, locative, ...).

In our interview of the Löbian machine, <> is translated in arithmetic with Gödel beweisbar predicate:

In particular: <>t is consistency.
<>t = ~[] f = ~ beweisbar ("0 = 1"), with "0=1" being a number coding the sentence "0 = s(0)".

OK, so this is saying that p -> <>p would mean "if p is true then that implies that p is consistent" - which, roughly speaking, is what Godel showed to be wrong.

Beweisbar(x) = Ey proof(y, x), that is: it exist a proof (y) of x. Proof must be mechanically checkable, and so, like sentences, they can be coded into numbers, and the predicate proof just decode the proof named by y and looks if it proves the sentence coded by x.

<>t = ~[] f means intuitively, as said by PA: "PA does not prove the false", or "PA is consistent".

So to summarize you don't want p->[]p as a modal axiom because it particularizes to t->[]t which says all true propositions are provable, contrary to Godel's theorem.

I guess there are typo error here. You mean p -> <>p.

I just have no choice, p are for arbitrary arithmetical proposition, and <> is for ~beweisbar ~p.

Now G* proves p -> <>p, and this means that this is true for the machine, bu G does not prove it, which means that the machine cannot alway justify that fact.

And if you know Gödels theorem, you know that already with t, we don't have t -> <>t. If G proves that G would prove <>t, and the machine would prove its consistency, which she can't.

Godel proved PA incompleteness by diagonalization on classes of numbers. But this applies to PA, not to every axiom set.

It applies on every axiom set rich enough to define what is computation.

So why not conclude there is something wrong with PA?

It applies to all recursively enumerable extension of PA. It applies to us, by comp, and assuming we are consistent "enough" (which is the case in the ideal case by construction).

To me it seems more intuitively compelling to say p-><>p than to say every number has a successor and deny p-><>p.

You confuse the non intuitive truth about us, with the intuition of the first person. yes, they do oppose, that is why []p, []p & p, []p & <>t, []p & <>t & p, obey different logic.

The first person, S4Grz does prove p -> <>p. And, yes, it is very hard to her to bet she is a machine, and she is correct by doing so. So the machine's soul, in some sense, is not a machine. I explained this to Craig sometimes ago.

But I don't defend comp, I just show that with comp, physics and theology become branch of number theory. This makes comp testable, just compare the computer-physics with nature.