Le 28 mars 2015 21:53, "meekerdb" <meeke...@verizon.net> a écrit :

> On 3/28/2015 1:32 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
>>
>> > But that seems to rely on something (a soul) in addition to the
numbers that is conscious and supplies the meaning.

>> No it's like current image recognition programs, the "meaning" built by
running the neuronals network algorithm is internal to the program.

> The meaning is still only relative to other things the program
recognizes.  As I understand it a program can learn to recognize cats in
videos; but it doesn't know anything except cat and not-cat.  In principle
it can go on to recognize dogs and relations like dog-chases-cat.  But the
meaning then of its state or even a sequence of states depends on all those
relations and objects it has inferred.  It's just compressed information
from the videos and the meaning comes from them and is made possible by
their regularities.

But *in the end* all of what the program as access to is its inputs. If you
impose them to be from a 'real' external world, it's the same as saying
computationalism is false by virtue of computations alone.

Quentin