Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    Telmo Menezes wrote:

        On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Bruce Kellett
        <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
        <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au
        <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>>> wrote:

            meekerdb wrote:

                On 5/15/2015 10:29 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

                    The AI that I envisage will probably be based on a
        learning
                    program of some sort, that will have to learn in
        much the
                    same way as an infant human learns. I doubt that we will
                    ever be able to create an AI that is essentially an
                    intelligent adult human when it is first turned on.

                I agree with that, but once an AI is realized it will be
                possible to copy it.  And if it's digital it will be
        possible to
                implement it using different hardware.  If it's not
        digital, it
                will (in principle) be able to implement it arbitrarily
        closely
                with a digital device.  And we will have the same question -
                what is that makes that hardware device conscious?  I
        don't see
                any plausible answer except "Running the program it
        instantiates."

            But that does not imply that consciousness is itself a
        computation.
            There is not some subroutine in your AI the is labelled "this
            subroutine computes consciousness". Consciousness is a
        function of
            the whole functioning system, not of some particular
        feature. That
            is why I think identifying consciousness with computation is
        in fact
            adding some additional magic to the machine.

        So you don't believe that performing the same computations that
        your brain does in another substrate will produce a copy of your
        mind? If you don't believe that, then you must believe in some
        unknown property of matter (magic?). If you do, then you believe
        that consciousness supervenes on computation.      Consciousness
        arose in nature by a process of natural evolution.

        How do you know that?
             Proto-consciousness gave some evolutionary advantage, so it
        grew and
            developed.

        How do you know that?
             Nature did not at some point add the fact that it was a
        computation,
            and then it suddenly become conscious.
        Of course not. Nobody claims that.
             Consciousness is a computation only in the trivial sense
        that any
            physical process can be regarded as a computation, or
        mapping taking
            some input to some output. There is not some special,
        magical class
            of computations that are unique to consciousness.
        Consciousness is
            an evolved bulk property, not just one specific feature of
        that bulk.

        How do you know it's evolved?

    Are you seriously going to argue that homo sapiens did *not* arise
    by a process of natural selection, aka evolution?

No, Darwinian evolution is my favourite scientific theory.

What I am arguing is that we don't know if consciousness is an evolved trait. It is perfectly possible to imagine darwinian evolution working without consciousness, even to the human intelligence level (producing philosophical zombies).

For example, if consciousness is more fundamental than matter, then evolution is something that happens within consciousness, not a generator of it.

That is probably the strongest argument against computationalism to date.

Bruce