On 10/28/2015 11:55 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 29 Oct 2015, at 2:12 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 28 Oct 2015, at 9:28 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 10/27/2015 3:04 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 28 Oct 2015, at 1:30 AM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 5:16 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

        ​ >> ​
        ​From examples in the physical world. You can give as
        many botanical definitions of the word  "tree" as you
        want but it will just be a word defined by other words
        that are themselves defined by yet more words that
        are.... If you tried to dig for meaning all you'd find is
        a endless loop, it would just be a game where words are
        manipulated according to the rules of botany until
        somebody forgot about definitions and pointed to the ​
        ASCII string "t-r-e-e" and then pointed to a large
        photosynthesizing organism made largely of cellulose that
        exists in the physical world. Then even a martian would
        notice a correspondence between this game of manipulating
        symbols called "botany" that humans had invented and the
        way these large photosynthesizing organism made largely
        of cellulose live.

    ​ > ​
    What about a virtual world with trees and observers, and no
    I/O devices connecting it to outside trees?

There would
​ still be I/O devices connected to the ​virtual trees made by a computer that operated according to the laws of physics, if not the trees wouldn't even be virtual. And the books on both virtual botany and real botany would still be more than a just a symbol manipulation game, they would have
semantic content
​ because there would be a ​
correspondence between
​ the way the
 symbols
​ are manipulated and the way the virtual (or real)
 large photosynthesizing organism live.
​ Regardless of if they are virtual or real ​if you want to know how trees live studying those botany symbols in virtual (or real) books will help, so they must have
semantic content
​ .

The requirement that a computation be able to interact with the real world puts a restriction on what qualifies as a computation. You've challenged Bruno many times to perform a difficult computation using his Platonic computer. Well, that computation is occurring in front of you now in the thermal motion of the atoms in your desk, which under an appropriate interpretation are implementing a Turing machine. But you and Bruno don't have that appropriate interpretation, and if you did, you would have the result of the calculation already. In other words, the thermal motion computation is not understandable as such in, and cannot interact with, the world at the level of the substrate of its implementation; so it would usually be said that either there is no computation being implemented, or it is being implemented only in a trivial and useless sense. But remove the requirement for interaction in the real world, and this objection falls down. The computation is being implemented, your difficult calculation has been completed, and it is being appreciated by the virtual observers who are clapping and cheering - even though you can't hear them.

That's essentially Bruno's MGA, except it stops one step short. Bruno takes the last step and says even if the atoms of your desk were doing absolutely nothing there is an interpretation in which that is a computation; hence the atoms are superfluous. But clearly then it is the interpretation which is providing the computation.

I agree; if anything at all can be seen as a computation, it is not the thing that matters, but the interpretation.

There are two ways to avoid this conclusion. One is to say that consciousness is not computable. The other is to say that a computation can only be implemented relative to the real world.

I take the latter. But it doesn't have to be relative the real (i.e. our) world. There can be a virtual consciousness relative to a virtual world...but I don't think "virtual" and "real" add anything to this. So when Bruno answers my criticism that the MG relys on its relation to the world for its consciousness by saying he can just expand the program to simulate the world too this doesn't answer my point. The consciousness is still only relative to a world; whether it's this world or a virtual world.

If the virtual world is at the same level as the consciousness there is nothing to prevent us saying the whole simulation is in Platonia.

Or that it is a real world. The problem with saying it's "in" Platonia is that it adds nothing testable. It's like saying this world is a dream of the Lotus eater.