On 23/06/2016 3:04 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 21 Jun 2016, at 04:08, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 21/06/2016 3:14 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 20 Jun 2016, at 04:00, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 20/06/2016 4:09 am, Brent Meeker wrote:

The alternative, which Bruno actually suggested once but disowns, is for explanations to form a "virtuous circle" in which everything is explained in terms of other things ultimately forming loops: NUMBERS -> "MACHINE DREAMS" -> PHYSICAL -> HUMANS -> PHYSICS -> NUMBERS I call this "virtuously circular" if it is comprehensive so that everything is somewhere in the circle.

The thing about such a loop is that you can start at any point -- for instance, PHYSICAL, HUMANS, PHYSICS, or anywhere else. The question then is whether this actually achieves you anything?

Just stop on the simplest theory.

"Simple" is an undefined term. You might think the integers are simple, I might think that physics is simple. No-one is right in any absolute sense.

Why? We can define a theory to be simpler than another if it has less assumptions.

The primary criterion for the adequacy of a theory is that the theory be consistent with the data. Simplicity is at best a secondary consideration, and then largely in the eye of the beholder, or the way in which the theory is formulated. It is like the choice of a coordinate system for astronomy -- the calculation of the trajectory for an earth-moon mission is extremely difficult in a coordinate system centred on one of the moons of mars but quite simple in the coordinate system centred on the earth. But the physics is the same whatever the coordinate system. "Simplicity" is a loaded word, a word that should be avoided.

Ig you can explain QM and consciousness from elementary arithmetic, you make a gain compared to starting from physicalist QM, which assumes Matter, QM (and thus arithmetic, as QM already assumes arithmetic).

Well, you should formalize your theory so that we can at least compare.

My theory is that the external objective physical world exists, independently of you or me, or even of consciousness. Consciousness is a property of certain forms of matter, and matter achieves those forms, and hence consciousness, by the process of evolution.

OK. So your theory asks for an ontological commitment in some Nature or Matter, being independent of us.

And your theory requires an ontological commitment to the existence of the integers. You don't actually have fewer ontological assumptions. Who said that the integers are simpler than nature? A number theorist might not agree! Note that the ontology is the integers, not some set of axioms. Axioms are statements that are true of the pre-existing integers, axioms are not ontological statements.

Then you know my point: you can't say yes to the doctor or you need to refute Church Thesis.

I deny this. Saying yes to the doctor merely requires you to accept that the functionality of the computer is the same as the functionality of your brain. This is as possible in the physicalist account as in any other. Why should not the physical world be Turing emulable? This might not be true for a computationalist account, but I reject that account: if physics can be seen as possible a simulation run by some alien civilization, then physics is certainly Turing emulable.

You must get out of this habit of claiming that certain things are impossible for the physicalist, while these things are merely impossible *if you assume computationalism* The physicalist rejects computationalism, so your "refutations" are baseless.

Mind (and consciousness) is a property of brains and other configurations of matter that have similar functionality.

If the functionality is Turing emulable, then your theory cannot work, without involving some non-Turing emulable element paying some role in mind and matter to assure the identity link.

Rubbish. It is no different from your "yes, doctor" scenario. Requiring "something" to assure the mind and matter identity link is pure dualism. Nothing extra is required. There is no need for anything to be not Turing emulable. Don't you understand? Once you have explained the functionality, there is nothing left to explain -- there is no magical mind-body link to explain -- that is dualism.

We learn about these things, and about the basis of consciousness, empirically, by applying the scientific method in our study. There is no "hard problem" of consciousness, because once we have understood the functionality, we have understood all that there is to it.

The contrary happens. Once we understand the functionality, it looks like if consciousness is no more needed, but then why would evolution endows us with it?

Because consciousness is part of the functionality. There is no mystery here, apart from that arising from your inherently dualist understanding of consciousness.

That is the hard problem: solving the describable easy part of it makes the harder part only more harder, ... until you get the Theatetus point, and remind that a brain is supposed to have some relation with truth.

What is truth? There has been a lot of progress in epistemology and the notion of "truth" since Plato's time. Maybe you should get up to date. There is no "hard problem"-- to think so is a simple category mistake.

Your "Yes, doctor" thought experiment is actually saying much the same thing: the functionality is all that matters -- once you have understood the function, you have understood consciousness. The doctor doesn't have to transfer "your consciousness" once he has replaced your brain with a functionally equivalent computer. There is no duality.

Indeed, but there is still a sense in saying that the consciousness has been preserved.

Your inherent dualism is showing again........ You separate functionality and consciousness -- that is dualism.

And this will work if we accept that the brain does not produce consciousness, it makes only possible for a consciousness (a person) to manifest itself relatively to some computations shared with other persons. But this eventually is what will make physics a dream-sharing theory, if we do get the right relative measure when solving the measure problem.

Get rid of the white rabbits, you mean? You can't do this, you know.

I have already give three equivalent version of "my" theory, which is probably the same of yours minus assuming mind and matter and a mysterious link between, as far as I understand.

As I understand it, your theory assumes the existence of numbers, or at least of the integers. Your base ontology can be used to support axioms, giving RA, PA and so on. Once you have some axioms and rules of inference, you can prove theorems. You then identify "existence" with the existential quantifier of mathematics -- if we can prove Ex(x = y), then you say that y is also part of the ontology.

I would say only that if the machine M can prove Ex(x = y), the machine will believe in the existence of y. Then it happens that all humans believe in RA and PA, at least all those willing to give sense to "digital mechanism", so if M proves Ex(x=y), we can take it as true.

Believing is not knowledge, and truth does not imply an ontology -- "triangles have three corners" is a true statement, whether or not triangles exist in any objective sense.

But without assuming the numbers to start with, you can never get to theorems and the existential quantifier.

That is why I assume x + 0 = x, etc.

The existential quantifier merely points to an already existing entity. We can say Ex(x^2 = 4) only because the integer 2 already exists. It is a pointer, not an ontological operator!

The existential quantifier is not then a definition of what "existence" consists in.

It is the simplest one, as I can explain in very simple conceptual term the theological and the physical existence (notably by the simple arithmetical modal [i]Ex[i]P(x), and [i]<i>Ex[i]<i>x.

If physicall real atoms are supposed as fiundamental, I might need to define the numbers by brain configuration of apes, and get the definition of zero with a many volumes book reducing the ape's brain to superstring theory, and this in a version of superstring theory never assuming natural or integers.

If you use superstring theory then you are most likely wrong! No, all you need is a physics in which the basic endurance of objects is ensured by symmetries and Noether's theorem.

Your ontology is assumed before you get that far, before you have arithmetic even.

?

What I said above: you have to assume the existence of at least the integers before any arithmetic can get off the ground.

So you are actually no better off than the physicalist -- you still have to assume a primitive ontology:

Yes. Without some theory, we don't have a theory. We need to agree on somethings. But my theory is just elementary arithmetic. It is believed by everybody (except sunday philosophers), and it is assumed by physicists too.

No, your ontology is the integers, and these are not assumed by physicists -- integers are derived by physicists from experience of the physical world.

this might form a model for arithmetic,

The (standard) model is the well known structure (N, 0, +, *). It was taught in high school explcitly sometimes ago.

but then so does the physical universe.

To assume an ontologically physical universe at the start is no better, for me, than to say God made it.

God made the integers, all else is the work of men! "Die ganzen Zahlen hat der liebe Gott gemacht, alles andere ist Menschenwerk". (Kronecker)

Anyway, I thought naively for a long time that all scientists knew that as long as the mind-body problem is not solved, we should be open to change our mind of what is more fundamental (number, matter, mind, etc.)

The physical has the property of containing distinct objects -- hence already has an ontology of integers, but in addition, things exist in the physical universe without the superstructure of axioms and theorems -- we just look and see! Physicalism is actually simpler!

Grandmother theory of gravitation (everything falls down if not supported) is simpler than Einstein's theory. Then.

The goal is the search of the truth.

What is truth? The physicist only seeks theories that are not contradicted by the data -- "truth" is an optional extra!

And my point is just that mechanism is incompatible with materialism, and that we can test them experimentally.

I don't defend any truth anywhere.

So don't talk about it so much, and don't criticize alternative theories just because they are incompatible with your theory.

I provide a reasoning only. Then I explain that QM (without collapse) provides evidence for mechanism, and thus again (weak) materialism.

That is why I like computationalism: it makes a large part of philosophy, metaphysics and theology experimentally testable.

Until you have some solid predictions that are different from those of a materialistic theory, and your predictions are borne out by experiment, you don't have anything of any particular value.

Bruce