On 25/06/2016 1:16 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 24 Jun 2016, at 04:06, Bruce Kellett wrote:

If we restrict quantum mechanics only to the late phases of the universe,

I do not assume a universe.

We don't have to assume it -- we observe it, and we experience it directly, so it is as real as our conscious state -- consciousness supervenes on the physical brain, after all.

that understanding of other worlds might be equivalent to the Everettian many worlds interpretation. But if the Big Bang is itself seen as a quantum event, then all possible Big Bangs are necessarily in superposition,

Yes, it is part of the multiverse, and partially part of the UD, but the real things is seen only through the FPI limit on all computations.

I see, so you do believe in a collapse model, after all. You collapse the unobserved part of the multiverse to unreality, to nothing. How do you ensure that I am in the same world as you are?

and most of these alternative worlds will have different physics from that of the world we inhabit.

If it makes sense to say that we inhabit in some physical world. But that is what remains to be proven by the computationalist. At some point it can be up to you to explain what you mean by "world". That term is not obvious, assuming computationalism, and no more obvious empirically after QM.

I have explained what I mean by "world" several times. I mean a physical entity, describable by physical laws, and closed to interaction with other such entities. These are the "worlds" that arise from Everettian QM, and the other bubble universes in eternal inflation.

So if the only physics you can derive is unique, your account of FPI is not completely equivalent to Everettian quantum mechanics.

Indeed. That is why we should deepened the testing. Everett assumes a universal wave. I assume only elementary arithmetic (and TC + yes-doctor at the intuive meta-level), so we get a bigger and more complex measure problem, and that is why it is nice than when we just listen to what the machines already say about this, we get (a) quantum logic(s) at the place where we need an equivalent of Gleason theorem.

I think the problem you face is proving that the computations characteristic of worlds with arbitrarily different constants and laws do not also pass through our consciousness, leading to an incoherent mess. Statistics over computations is not a clean way to separate things out. Any probability other than one will lead to white rabbits.

Bruce