On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​> ​
> In a post you agreed with principle 1:
> Principle 1:  if the guy in Helsinki is assured that the event X will be
> statified/realized at both W and M, then P(X) = 1.

​Probability is a measure of confidence, so ​

​obviously ​if the
guy in Helsinki is assured that
​event X will happen ​
then ​for him P(X)= 1 because that's what being assured means.
Yes
 that's not very deep but hey, it's your thread not mine.

​> ​
> and you have agreed with principle 2:  P_t(X_q) ≠ 1 => P_t'(X_q) ≠ 1, if
> t' < t, and q > t (P_t = probability evaluated at t, and X_q = some event
> at time q.

​I don't know if I agree with that or not because the above is confusing, a
event has a specified time and place but you're talking about
the same event at different times, t and t'. And what exactly does P refer
to? I know it's probability but the probability that who assigns to what as
seen by who? I will say that if I know something today I will know it
tomorrow unless I've forgotten it.  And I will say if I'm certain about
something today then I will be certain about it tomorrow unless I was
wrong. And I will say that if I assign a probability that fact X is true
and I receive more information about fact X tomorrow then tomorrow I will
assign a new probability to fact X, and that new probability could be
larger or smaller than yesterday's probability depending on what that new
information is.

​

​> ​
> From this I have derived the indeterminacy

​It's not a big news flash that the future is uncertain.​

> ​> ​
> and apparently you change your mind on principle 1.

​No I still think that if I am certain of ​something then I would assign a
100% probability of it happening, and only time will tell if my confidence
was justified.

​
>> ​
>> ​>> ​
>> BOTH copies are absolutely convinced that they are the Helsinki man and
>> BOTH are correct, I think you agree on that.
>

> ​> ​
> Yes.

​At least we agree on one thing.​

​> ​
>> So it makes sense to ask what one city the Moscow man sees and​
>> ​ ​
>> it makes sense to ask what one city the
>> ​ Washington man sees but it makes no sense to ask what one city the
>> Helsinki man will see. ​
>>

> ​> ​
> Why?

​*WHY*?? Because ​the two see two cities and
BOTH
​of the two ​
are absolutely convinced that they are the Helsinki man and BOTH
​of the two ​
are correct
​, so if the Helsinki man will see two cities it makes no sense to ask the
Helsinki man what one and only one city the Helsinki man will see! And that
is why establishing personal identity can only come from remembering the
past and never from trying to predict the future.

> ​> ​
> He knows that he will
> ​ [...]

​... and the pronoun party continues....

 John K Clark

​