On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 7:08 AM, David Nyman <david.ny...@gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> Actually there have been some quite interesting discussions outside the JC
> echo chamber, I think, Quentin. I don't bother with the troll,

​So you believe Quentin's ideas are so brilliant that nobody could
sincerely disagree with them and I have written hundreds of posts over the
years defending a position I did not believe had any value. Hmm... I bet
you voted for Trump.  ​

​> ​
> although I occasionally read your contributions because the degree of, no
> doubt understandable, vitriol you have accumulated towards his attitude to
> the discussion is quite entertaining.

​Entertaining in the way intestinal worms are entertaining perhaps.

​> ​
> Personally I've never been able to understand all the fuss. In a world
> with duplication machines we'd just have to accept that other people might
> have a legitimate claim to be the successors of the same predecessor as
> ourselves.

​If you know there will be more than one successor then​

​asking the predecessor what one and only one thing will happen to that
predecessor
​ would be a brain dead dumb thing to do.

> ​> ​
> But that couldn't possibly have any bearing on the necessity of finding
> ourselves to be one single individual at any given moment.

No bearing? You
​ ​
just
​ ​
said "finding ourselves" and that's plural, so when you ask "what one and
only one thing" what the hell are you asking and who are you asking it of?
​ ​
Some very stupid people, such as those that think Quentin
​ ​
is clever, believe it's like a coin flip, but it's nothing like a coin
flip! Today I don't  know if
​ ​
the flip
​ ​
will
​ ​
end up
​ ​
heads or tails and the best I can do is assign probabilities, but tomorrow
I won't need probabilities at all,
​ ​
tomorrow
​ ​
I can state with 100% certainty
​ ​
exactly how it turned out; however with Bruno's thought experiment tomorrow
after its completed everybody still will be as ignorant of the answer as
they were the day before because
​ ​
it's still not clear what the question was.

> ​>​
>  I suppose it's just barely within the bounds of possibility that some
> poor soul might be incapable of understanding what is entailed in BEING
> someone as distinct from DESCRIBING someone. But if that were indeed the
> case one could only shake one's head and pass on by.

​Even in a world with people duplicating machines I have no trouble
understanding what *BEING* someone means, and I have no trouble
understanding what having *BEEN* somebody means, but I have enormous
difficulty understanding what the one and only one person I *WILL BE*
means.

John K Clark

​John K Clark ​