On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:08:58 PM UTC+1, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

>> On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 6:40:53 PM UTC+1, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>>

>>> Right.
>>>

>>> In acute, severe pain they are often the only thing that works, and
>>> denying them to a suffering patient is inhumane. In chronic pain, their use
>>> is more controversial. Perhaps not widely known is that in a way they are
>>> very safe drugs in that they do not cause end organ damage, unlike, say,
>>> alcohol or tobacco.
>>>

>>> Note that tobacco would be much less dangerous if people were informed,
>>> and could have more choice. Since tobacco exists, it has been used orally
>>> by many people, and today, studies shows that this mode of consumption is
>>> far less dangerous than smoking it.
>>>

>>> Elephant-killing doses of fentanyl are used in cardiac surgery, and as
>>> long as respiration is supported, the patient wakes up fine. The problem is
>>> that some people (not all) enjoy the euphoric effect so much that they
>>> misuse them, leading to tolerance, dose escalation and risk of overdose.
>>>

>>> That is right, but seems to be an effect of its prohibition.
>>>

>> Then next time a person requires that kind of surgery, they can thus
>> inform the doctor that a small salvia infusion and some chewing tobacco
>> suffices for their analgesic needs before a scalpel is reached for? The
>> efficacy of opiates is not merely an effect of prohibition.
>>
>> Assuming something severe like heart surgery, a work related accident, a
>> soldier being exposed to an IED and losing a limb in a war zone... anywhere
>> where high levels of pain are a clear matter, I know why most humane
>> doctors today turn to opiates. Efficacy at pain management. Stathis is
>> correct.
>>
>> In addition to their utility in surgery, it is a fact that said soldier
>> with a lost limb, supplied with an appropriate dose of morphine, fentanyl,
>> or one of its equivalents may not have their mortifying/traumatic level of
>> pain disappear completely; i.e. the pain is still there but somehow, from a
>> subjective point of view, *it matters much less than before the opiate
>> was administered*. If pain is assumed to be nature's "argument of
>> authority", then opiates are the best local god atm. This property is
>> remarkable, useful, and well established. You could argue that some of the
>> dynamics of prohibition are due to opiates' efficacy: they are so effective
>> at relieving pain that people have waged war over their control/use.
>>

>>> In the city of Liege, in Belgium, they have made (two times) a three
>>> year experience of legalizing heroin. You need a medical prescription. This
>>> has confirmed that the best medication to quit heroin is ... heroin itself,
>>> when cheap and medically prescribed. heroin then loose completely its
>>> appeal for "beginners", and old consummers, not only get fine, got the time
>>> to search a job, diminish by themselves the consumption, and eventually
>>> most have stopped. Obviously, this is helpful for getting clean needles and
> [...]

Valiant try for a save but merely a variant of the same distortion of
facts: the misuse and dose escalation is not merely an effect of
prohibition.The misuse and dose escalation is due to what opiates are:
extremely effective at treating pain. See reports of pre-prohibition opium
use. Their attraction is well documented before prohibition.

You might argue that prohibition sharpens this needlessly but this still
won't bring about a general, more careful attitude towards their use in
populations currently affected by high death rates. PGC