On 7 December 2017 at 21:49, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
> the responsibility.
>

> Then I want to know what these interactions
>> are, and what if the "atom" of consciousness, what is the first
>> principle. Without this, I would say that such hypothesis are not even
>> wrong.
>>

> The sub-unities have specialized task, and does not need evolved
> forecasting ability. You can think them as ants, when they do their usual
> jobs triggered by the local pheromones left by their close neighbors. But
> if the nest is attacked, or if some important food is missing, some species
> will needs some order of the queen (ike to fight or to move away. Some
> societies can delegate most of the power to the sub-unities, but in complex
> unknown situation, if they have to make important decision, they will need
> a centralization of the power, which can act much more quickly to convince
> the whole society of some unusual option, like running away, closing the
> doors, fighting the enemy, etc. That will happen when *many* ants complain
> on something.
>
> In this case, the role of consciousness is focusing the attention on what
> is important (with respect to survival), and to speed-up planning,
> decision, etc.
>
> I am not sure this answer the question (we are in the "easy" part of the
> problem here).
>

> I follow you here, but I'd like to make a comment on the "hard" side of
> the problem. What comp implies in its ineffably strange way, given that
> matter itself becomes an appearance, is that strictly speaking we should
> say that the "easy" part of the story is only what "appears" to be
> happening. So neurocognition itself is a sort of (very precise and
> constrained) story, narrated in terms of physical action, itself emulated
> in computation.
>
> From the perspective of reality or truth we get an interpretation or
> meaning in terms of which such stories can make sense, but each 'level' has
> its own proper logic; and the logic of material appearance is that of the
> 'laws' of physics. Nothing else is necessary, at least at that level, to
> account for the disposition and evolution of material states. So strictly
> speaking, when talking of prediction and other mentalistic concepts, we
> should nevertheless be aware that this isn't of itself the logic of the
> physical mechanisms with which these concepts are entangled. Of course it
> must be consistent with that logic for the mental to be capable of
> manifesting in the generalised environment of physical appearances, but we
> shouldn't expect the logic of the physical level to recapitulate the
> mentalistic logic in virtue of instantiating it.
>
> Hence when we speak of such things as predictions at the level of the
> brain, we mustn't forget that this is a 'manner of speaking' to be cashed
> out interpretatively or meaningfully only at the level of perceptual truth.
>

> That's "cashed out" if you're interpreting the process in a mental realm.

​Yes.
​

> But there are other equally valid realms.  In the physical realm it is
> cashed out by action in the world.  In biology it is cashed out by success
> or failure in reproduction and evolution.

​Yes again. But I was speaking specifically in terms of the comp
assumption​ in terms of which those other realms - and this then obviously
includes not only fundamental physics but the 'special' sciences and the
broader, overarching narratives, such as evolution, that supervene on them
- are a tightly constrained set of appearances . That is, they ultimately
fall within the epistemological or interpretative spectrum of a generic
mental agent in terms of whose necessary constraints they are enabled to
burrow their way out of a deeper, vastly more generalised computational
ontology. So in (this) final analysis, all the cashing out should in
essence be conceived as epistemological or mentalistic, although certainly
in a much more rigorous and nuanced manner than is to be found in a more
naive, say Berkeleyan, idealism. As I say below, it's sometimes difficult
to appreciate this point because we can't help implicitly interpreting
everything in sight and hence we tend to project that interpretation back
on the basic field of study as though it were intrinsic to it. Which it
ain't.

> It's easy to miss this distinction because inevitably we can't help
> talking about everything from an implicitly pre-interpreted perspective.
> This is how Dennett for example is able to conceal from his readers (and
> possibly from himself) that he is both denying and asserting the same thing
> at one and the same time.
>

> I think this is an unfair criticism because it assumes that the mental
> viewpoint is the only really real one.

But what other 'viewpoint' is really real as distinct from really imaginary
and already implicitly interpreted? This is what I mean about the implicit
pre-interpretation of the field of study. There really (really) ain't no
such thing as the View from Nowhere, except in the eye of the interpreting
imagination.
​

>   Can you illustrate your point with quotes from Dennett?

Well, his work is suffused with such stuff, but a quickly Googled example:

From: Why and How Does Consciousness Seem the Way it Seems?

"​Therefore, qualia, conceived of as states of
this imaginary medium [consciousness, my addendum] do not exist....But it
seems to us that they do."

​Dennett frequently uses terms like 'seeming'​ to get around the fact that
he doesn't want to appear to be denying that we have experiences (which
would be just too patently absurd) but he also doesn't want to say that
there's anything remaining after the functional account is exhausted. So
instead he says we only 'seem' to have experiences. Trouble is, only
seeming to have an experience cannot be in any wise distinguished from just
having an experience, but this sleight of language might just distract his
readers enough not to notice that the pea hasn't really disappeared but is
still somewhere under one of the cups. Indeed, it might just distract
Dennett himself enough not to have noticed it himself. But I rather doubt
that, since I can see it and he's smarter than me. It's just that this
style is what fits his fixed methodological precommitments, and
consequently all's fair in love and dogmatic assertion.

In point of fact, were Dennett not so committed to materialism as a
methodology, his analysis in terms of what he calls heterophenomenology
would be much more coherent. In fact, AFAICT, it seems pretty much
compatible with comp, as far as it goes. He's right that our 'judgements'
about (hetero)phenomena are what must count in order to be effective at the
functional level, but because he won't go beyond physics as his base
ontology, in effect he's limited himself to a (functionally implied) 'Bp',
but without the extension to 'and p'. He tries to sidestep the Paradox of
Phenomenal Judgement by accepting the judgements but essentially denying
provenance to the phenomena themselves (which of course has the rather
undesirable effect of making the entire phenomenal world disappear from
view, but let that pass). Comp by contrast can face the POPJ without fear
of incoherence because the logic of its epistemology (its 'laws of
mentality') inextricably entangles 'Bp' with 'and p'. It's the primary
truth or reality of 'and p' that is the retroactive interpretative warrant
for the rest of the logical structure from which it arises, extrinsic
interpretation, at that point finally, no longer being assumed or required.

David