On 05 Dec 2017, at 02:36, David Nyman wrote:

On 5 December 2017 at 01:11, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 12/4/2017 4:59 PM, David Nyman wrote:
On 2 December 2017 at 01:57, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 12/1/2017 5:21 PM, David Nyman wrote:
On 2 December 2017 at 00:58, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 12/1/2017 4:46 PM, David Nyman wrote:
On 2 December 2017 at 00:06, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 12/1/2017 3:48 PM, David Nyman wrote:

Another aspect of this is that if, in imagination, you progressively reduce the duration of your effective short term memory, at some point you will intuit that you have become effectively 'unconscious', or at least un-self-conscious, as you will be unable to imagine formulating an articulate thought or possibly even assembling a coherent series of sense impressions or intuitions.
Including the coherent thought that you have become effectively 'unconscious'.

​Yes indeed. Of course you realised that I meant "at some point you will intuit" only with reference to the relevant point in the thought experiment​, not to the imagined situation itself. In the latter case my contention was that "at some (i.e. the corresponding) point" you would in effect have become incapable of coherently intuiting even the thought of your 'lost consciousness', as you suggest.

Jeff Hawkins discusses this in his book "On Intelligence". He calls his model of intelligence memory+prediction and it is based more on brain neurophysiology and research than on computation (although he's a computer guy, inventor the Palm Pilot).

​Yes, that's interesting. From the evolutionary standpoint, leaving aside distinctions of phenomenal versus 'access' consciousness, one might speculate that the primary utility of conscious deliberation is that of more accurate prediction of the future and consequently improved individual and species survivability.

In Hawkins model the lower layers of the neocortex are continually predicting what they will receive from the perceptive organs. If a layer's prediction fails, the input is passed up to the next layer and each layer has more extensive lateral connections than the layer below it. So consciousness is emergent engagement of the top layer; although Hawkins doesn't speculate much about this as he is more interested in intelligence than consciousness.

​This seems consistent with Jaynes's model, I think. It does seem plausible that ​the predictive calculus would work its way up through the levels as and when necessary in something like the way Hawkins suggests and only 'emerge' fully at the neocortical level when 'all else has failed', as it were. Then, in Jaynes's bicameral model, the demand for a 'plan of action' would hopefully be satisfied with respect to something like a pre-existing template that would be communicated (principally in language) for reception and action by the 'non-self-conscious' actor.

This is very powerfully illustrated in the early scenes in the Iliad when Achilles is only prevented from slaughtering Agamemnon by the last minute intervention of Athena, who has to grab him by the hair to restrain him (in this case we apparently have full visual, auditory and tactile hallucination). Here we have the classically un-self-conscious actor in the full tide of his right- brained bravura, but with the fortunate intervention at the critical moment of his 'common-sense' hemisphere just in time to forestall mayhem. With the later breakdown of bicamerality in certain individuals (presumably as a consequence of relatively more efficient inter-hemispherical neurological integration) the 'speaking' and 'listening' faculties located in the separate hemispheres would have begun to coalesce, in tandem with greater integration of planning and execution functions. Odysseus, especially as portrayed in the Odyssey, might be the Homeric exemplar of the newly 'integrated man', coping creatively and constructively with one unexpected and novel catastrophe after another.

Yes, as Jaynes speculates the bicameral mind breaks down when there is trade between different tribes and it becomes advantageous to be able to lie, like the Wily Odysseus.

Funnily enough, I've often entertained the question, in moments of reflection, of who is 'speaking' and who 'listening' with respect to my inner dialogue. It may not be completely fanciful to link the origin of these two aspects to separate though substantially integrated hemispheres. After all, in sum they're both 'me'. I wonder if there might be an experimental protocol that could settle the question?

Careful or you will find yourself agreeing with Dennett and his modular mind, which borders on heresy in this list.

Well it isn't heretical in my book. If we "can't know which machine" (i.e. program or computation) we are at any given point, this would seem to me consistent with a multiple draft schema, given ​that every draft is presumably conceived as being integrated with something akin to common 'memory' and 'executive' functions and hence is equally implicated with 'me'. And of course the very modularity of neurological architecture argues in a similar direction, which is presumably one of the things Dennett finds in its favour.

By the way, the more I consider what Dennett actually says (modulo his sometimes rather overbearing style) the less I find of substance to disagree with, as far as it goes. If you simply accept his dogma- driven weaselling about 'seeming' as semantically equivalent to 'experiencing' then he isn't really eliminating consciousness, he only 'seems' to be doing so. Then what he says in effect is that consonant with certain sorts of brain activity we seem to have experiences or, in my semantically collapsed version, we experience having experiences; in short, we have experiences.

Of course he doesn't really provide a thoroughgoing account of how brain function and experience (or properly, the experiencer) might be explanatorily linked, or in other words a convincing theory of mental agency that is able to bridge the conceptual gap between brain and mind. The multiple drafts model isn't really such an account, as it remains at the third-person functional level, and designedly so given Dennett's prior intellectual and methodological commitments.

I agree. Fodor or Dennett's modular mind is not an heresy, but a welcome idea for a mechanist.

The heresy would lie only in dismissing the conscious subject by misusing the modularity like it would explain it all. But as you illustrate here, Dennett could just try to be more cautious. Now, we have still to explain where the physical laws "seem" to be selected, to get the complete account, but that is what is offred by the theory of the greek when using the provability predicate for believability, as enforced by incompleteness for the rational agent.

Bruno

David