From: *Bruno Marchal* <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>>
On 5 Jun 2018, at 03:34, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

The difference is perhaps most easily captured in the use of the word "exists". If we say that there "exists" an integer between 2 and 4, then that could be called mathematical existence.

You can do that.

And that is all that is necessary for mathematics to be used in the rest of science.

Yes, but in metaphysics, we need to put all cart on the table, and eventually, with computationalism, we cannot make sense of anything more than elementary arithmetic for an ontological basic existence, the one which has to be assumed. (Or any Turing equivalent machinery).

It is only when you go beyond this concept of mathematical existence and use the word in the same way as we would say that the moon "exists", that you run into trouble.

On the contrary, there will be indeed a integers in between 2 and 4. But the moon will get only a phenomenal existence. It will definitely not have the same sense as the arithmetical ExP(x), but the moon will only be “observable”, and that will be a modal existence, actually like []<>Ex[]<>P(x), with [] and <> a material modality (I have given three examples of them).

You agree, then, that the meaning of the word "exists" in "the moon exists" is different from its meaning in "there exists an integer >2 and <4". That is probably all we need. You claim that the first meaning ("the moon exists") is secondary to the meaning in arithmetical existence. But that is no more than your assertion. You want to say that the moon's existence is derivative -- depending ultimately on arithmetical realism. On the other hand, I say that the mode of existence of the moon is primary, and arithmetic is totally derivable from a few axioms invented by human creatures, who share their existence with the moon.

You want to claim that arithmetical existence is simpler than physical existence. But that is clearly false because you cannot derive physics from arithmetic, but I can derive arithmetic from physics -- humans did it as soon as they learned to count! Claiming that the derivation of physics from arithmetic is "a work in progress", so I have no right to criticize computationalism because that work is not completed, is nothing more than special pleading based on unwarranted and unevidenced assumptions.

Physics is clearly simpler than arithmetic because it "exists" without any further work -- arithmetic requires the existence of a conscious mind, and minds have not yet evolved in computationalism.

Bruce