> [...]
> to Mars. On Earth she enters the scanner which scans her body and brain cells
> in great detail at an instant of time, down to all molecular details that are
> functionally relevant. At the same time, her body is instantly destroyed, and
> the scanned data is sent to the replicator station located at the journey’s
> target. There, the replicator instantly builds a perfect copy of Abby’s body
> and brain, based on the transmitted data​. Clearly the material body is
> destroyed (and rebuilt) in this process, which leads to instant feelings of
> unease to most guinea pigs or humans who think about this scenario.
>
> There would be no logical reason for you being uneasy about this and there
> wouldn't even be a illogical reason for being uneasy unless somebody told you
> about the destruction and reconstruction of your body, and even then you
> probably wouldn't believe them because subjectively you would feel no
> different whatsoever. Our ancestors would be terrified at getting into an
> aluminum tube and flying 40,000 feet up in the air at 600 mph, but if the
> weather was calm they wouldn't even know they were doing so unless they
> looked out the window.
>
> ​>​a malfunction disturbs the daily routine: a malicious admirer of Abby
> hacks into the transmitter’s computer system and causes the teleporter to
> create two perfectly identical copies of Abby at exactly the same local time
> on Mars, next to each other. How does Abby experience this situation?
>
> Abby #1 finds herself on Mars as usual but notices somebody who looks just
> like her standing to her right.  Abby #2 finds herself on Mars as usual but
> notices somebody who looks just like her standing to her left. Looking
> backward through time neither remembers experiencing any branching,
> everything will seem perfectly continuous to both. Looking forward through
> time neither remembers any branching, and in fact neither remembers anything
> at all because we can remember the past but not the future, so the future can
> not tell Abby what it means to be Abby, only the past can do that. And so
> both Abbys will insist they are Abby. And both will be equally correct.
>
> ​>​Directly after the replication, there will be two identical twins — let us
> call them Abby-1 and Abby-2. An instant later, due to differing experiences,
> Abby-1 and Abby-2 will become different in the information content of their
> brain.
>
> Yes.
>
> ​> ​So how will Abby subjectively experience this situation?
>
> We're right back to Bruno's definition problem. I can't answer your question
> until you make clear what you mean by "Abby".   I can tell you exactly
> precisely what I mean by "Abby", its whoever remembers being Abby before the
> duplication. Yes its odd that there are 2 people that meet that criteria, but
> odd is not the same thing as paradoxical. I've given you mine so what is your

It is my definition of “Abby”, since the beginning. It is exactly the one we
need to understand that Abby is unable to predict what experience he will live
after the duplication, because, assuming comp, both abby will remember being
Abby before the duplication. It is odd, as now there are two people, but,
OBVIOUSLY (with mechanism) both live a single experience in only one city, and
OBVIOUSLY, as they are both abby, it makes that experience (seeing one city)
different and incompatible after, which makes it necessary to be not
predictible before.

I am happy you insist so much on this. You do understand the first person
indeterminacy. Time to move to step 4.

Bruno