On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 3:06:42 AM UTC-5, Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 7:48:57 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 10/28/2018 9:17 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> Instead of relativism, philosophers talk of *perspectivism*.
>>
>> (Nietzsche is said to be the father of perspectivism. I say, actually,
>> Kant. ...)
>>
>> A Scientist sees a bunch of phenomena (recorded as data) and says, I have
>> written a theory θ in a language λ that models the data!. Other Scientists
>> say, I have done the same, but mine's "better"! So then there are a bunch
>> of θ_λs (perspectives). The odd thing is that each Scientist talks about
>> their pet θ_λ as being the world-as-it-is.
>>

>> You must be thinking of philosophers.  Scientists propose an experiment
>> to see which theory is better.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> I don't see much evidence for that. Look at the 100s of papers on arXiv on
> all the competing models for quantum gravity, dark matter, dark energy,
> modified gravity, cosmic inflation, ...
>

> And these papers are written mostly by *Ph.D. physicists, n*ot Ph.D.
> philosophers.
>
> - pt

Another example (this from a budding Ph.D. physicist):

http://sciencenordic.com/gravity-it-all-your-head

*Gravity: it is all in your head*
February 1, 2018

*We take it for granted that gravity pulls things towards the Earth. But in
reality this is just one of many explanations. And they are all equally
made up.*

*t is fascinating to think that all of our language used in physics could
have turned out very differently.*

*If we one day meet aliens from another world, we will agree how an apple
falls from a tree. But we probably won’t agree why.*

By: Niels Jakob Søe Loft, PhD student, Department of Physics and Astronomy,
Aarhus University, Denmark.

Note that this is from a *physics department*, not a philosophy department!

It has the basic truth about physics theories: *they are all equally made
up.*

- pt