On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:05 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 3:26 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> No. there is no evidence for that at all. Why should the constants of
>>> nature be a random selection from some distribution?
>>>

>> 1. It is a prediction of eternal inflation and string theory.
>>

> String theory and its "landscape" are very speculative, and unlikely to
> have any relation to the real world -- there is no evidence that string
> theory is even a coherent theory! Eternal inflation, although popular, is
> only one possibility for inflation, and even inflationary theory itself is
> not well-established science.

I agree they are speculative, but they are on the side many many universes.
Meanwhile there is no evidence for "the only universe that exists is the
one I can see".

> 2. There is no known principal that prohibits other systems ruled by
>> different laws.
>>

> The idea that everything that is not forbidden must exist is a silly
> metaphysical notion.

That's not the position I was advocating, though I think that notion is
less silly than the idea that we should expect to be in a position to see
everything that exists.

> 3. The digits of the dimensionless constants at significance levels not
>> important to life appear to be randomly distributed
>>

> Appearances can be deceptive -- vide flat earth.

What do you think determines the dimensionless constants?

> 4. It is highly surprising that the dimensionless constants hold the
>> values they do as if they were even slightly different, the universe would
>> be too simple for any life to exist
>>

> How do you know that?

It is difficult to create systems that develop spontaneous complexity, as
any programmer could tell you.  That our universe is such a system is
surprising, given that most systems do not yield spontaneous complexity.

> Look, the Bayesian prior for any argument about the nature of the universe
> is that we exist. So there is nothing in the least surprising about the
> fact that the universe we observe is compatible with our existence.
> Anything else is just idle speculation.

But that's not the correct prior to use.  Your assumption is that one and
only one universe exists.  Starting from that assumption you must then ask
what is the probability that life will exist in that one and only one
universe.  Given that the probability is low, would suggest the initial
assumption is wrong.  Of the 26 dimensionless constants, lets say each one
had a 50/50 chance of leading to catastrophe (no life) if in an invalid
range.  Then the probability that all constants would be in the correct
range is (1/2)^26 = 1 in 67 million.  We should then be (1 - (1/2)^26) sure
that the universe we can see is not the only one.

>> Why do you believe there is only one inevitable possibility for the laws
>> of physics? I've never heard any justification for that idea.
>>

> Why do you think I believe that?

You seemed to reject the idea of other possible physical systems ruled by
different laws, and that the dimensionless constants are not from some
random distribution.

> One idea about the end-point of physics is that there is a TOE that will
> explain everything -- predict the values of all constants and so on, maybe
> even specify a lot of the boundary conditions. Why do you believe that such
> a TOE is not possible?

I realize that is the dream of many physicists, but science has provided no
justification for the success that initiative, and substantial evidence
that such an initiative is doomed to fail (e.g., all the evidence of
landscapes).

Jason