> On 20 Dec 2018, at 19:28, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 10:42 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> >> Without using matter/energy or the laws of physics how can you associate
> >> anything with anything?
>
> > The function 1/2 (m+n)(m+n+1) + m associates [...]
>
> Associates? But that was my question!

And my answer is in the quote.

> Without using matter/energy or the laws of physics how can you make
> associations of anything with anything?

Like above. Of course if by “associating” to mean physical association, then
you need to derive the physical reality from arithmetic, and use the physical
association, but those are still based on the non material association which
belongs to arithmetic. The function s associates n and n+1, to give another
very simple exemple.
I think you just assumed some primary physical reality. I do not. I derive it.

> And there are an infinite number of associations that can be made, so how did
> you pick the one you did and reject all the others?

I reject none. But they are structured by arithmetic, notably through reference
and self-reference by the person related to the numbers and numbers relation.
It is like in all sciences.

> > each natural number with each couple (n, m) of natural numbers. No physical
> > hypothesis at all is needed to prove that result.
>
> So to prove you can associate things without using matter/energy or the laws
> of physics you must first associate things without using matter/energy or the
> laws of physics.

The study of the kind of association I use is called “mathematics”.

Bruno