I send again my answer, that I wrote yesterday. All in one post.

===========
Hi Philip,

I cannot answer in your text for reason of bad formatting. It looks hard to be
sent too.

I comment here: when you say:

<<
Matter is everything that we can see, smell, touch, feel and even can't see.

I am OK with this definition.

But when you add

<<
Everything is matter, there isn't anything that isn't matter.

That means you adopt Aristotle’s metaphysics, which is incompatible with the
“Mechanist act of faith”.
Indeed, logic makes the Mechanist theory entitling that “seeing, smelling,
touching, feeling” are phenomenological number attributes, and explains matter
without making it primitive, which means really explain it, instead of
populating at the outset.

If you believe that matter explains the numbers, you should provide the
explanation, and of course, not assume the numbers, or anything
Turing-equivalent, in the process. Existing theories in physics do assumes the
numbers, and so cannot be used in this context.

Bruno
=================================
Hi John,

> On 15 Feb 2019, at 20:37, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com
> <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 1:15 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> > I will do a personal confession: I have never believe in matter,
>
> Matter doesn't care if you believe in it or not, it will just continue doing
> what it does.

Assuming it exists. But in that case you have to explain what is primary
matter, and how it makes some computations (going through your mind state) in
arithmetic more real than others. That assumption makes things more complex,
and without any evidence for it. So it looks like making things only more
complex without any evidence for it. Assuming matter makes it primitive,
without reason.

> > because I have never seen any evidence for it.
>
> That's OK, I don't think matter has ever seen any evidence for you either.

Nor for your consciousness, but you cannot eliminate it, as you say in your
critics on Dennett (with which I agree).

> > Matter is like God,
>
> Matter is nothing like God, one is amenable to the scientific method and one
> is not, that is to say one is bullshit and one is not.

I should have written “Assumed Matter” or “Primitive Matter”. It is like a
creator God, instead of “God made it”, you accept/assume its existence, which
is equivalent to abandoning the idea of explains it from simpler principles. It
is the common “Aristotle's mistake” of reifying a metaphysical notion, to avoid
explains it. To say “because matter is” is not a progress from “because A God
made it”.

> > in the sense of the greeks
>
> Yes in the sense of the ancient Greeks, in other words in the sense of people
> with less scientific literacy than a bright fourth grader.

No, in theology Wie have regressed a lot, after the theology-science has been
stolen by Churches and Tempes to control and manipulate people. Most people are
even ignorant of the work of the neopythagorean and the neoplatonist. They
ignore that the science of physics, mathematics, and even mathematical logic
are all born from that scientific theology of the ancient greeks. It is just
that after 529 in Occident, and after1248 (Al Ghazali) in the Middle-East, the
field has been made taboo or mocked by people who use dogma instead.

> Why oh why do you keep talking about those ignoramuses?

Because in theology, to put it roughly, we have imposed inconsistent theories
since long.

> > which means that it is something that we have to explain,
>
> And then we have to explain the explanation and then explain the explanation
> of the explanation and then…

… and then we explains everything, including the necessary presence of some
unexplainable experiences and realms, just from elementary addition and
multiplication, without assuming anything more than Mechanism and accepting the
standard definitions in the fields of epistemology and ancient theology.
Mechanism explains the conscious appearance and the sharable and non sharable
part of the physical reality, without committing itself in strong ontological
assumption.

Hi Brent,

> On 15 Feb 2019, at 19:53, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:
>

> On 2/14/2019 3:26 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>> Don’t hesitate to find some argument in favour of primitive materials, but
>> in my opinion, this is highly speculative, and never used in physics.
>
> But the non-material primitive is never used either.

Assuming matter! But even a physicist will prefer to assume numbers, as he
needs to record the results of its experiment and develop its theory, than to
derive the notion of numbers from, say the strings (and not the string
*theory*, which assumes some number or equivalent Turing-complete base.

> Insofar as I know, no scientist ever worries about what is primitive;

I agree. That is the case since 1500 years. Metaphysics/theology have been
taken away from science.

Instead of obeying to elementary Pltinian-like theology, whose recommend to
never mention Its Name in any terrestrial effective matter, we do tolerate the
blasphemy all the times. That explains why in the human science we are still in
the superstition, idolatry, with a complacency to total lack of rigour. That
explains (but not justifies) the Shoah, Rwanda, Wars, and the many lies we are
given all the times in the human domain, the medical science included. Science
has not yet begun, except somehow in between -500 (Pythagorus) and +500
(Damascius, end of Plato’s Academy in Athen).

Science is neutral on metaphysics and theology, *especially* in scientific
metaphysics/psychology/theology. You are right, I have never find a paper in
physics which assumes ontological matter. Only in philosophy do many people do
that assumption, which is not a problem if recognised as such, and not mixed
with Digital Mechanism. But the empirical evidences sides more with Mechanism
than Materialism.

> they only want to find a theory that is consilient, broad in scope, and
> correct in predictions.

Yes, so let us do that with theology and metaphysics.

Hi Brent,

> On 15 Feb 2019, at 19:50, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:
>

> On 2/14/2019 3:14 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>> On 14 Feb 2019, at 06:44, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net
>>> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

>>> But when we build AI's we will know which machine they are.
>>>
>> In theory yes, and we can be sure of its theology if the machine is sensibly
>> less complex than us.
>
> I don't understand that.  "We" in the collective sense build lots of things
> that no one of us understands (e.g. Boeing 747), but "we" understand it.

The point is that a machine cannot prove its own consistency, or define its own
notion of truth/god, but she  *can* prove that IF she is consistent, then she
cannot prove its own consistency. At that stage, its living or experience of
its inability to prove its consistency can be abductively explained by the fact
she *might* be consistent. Something similar happens with soundness, and all
its limitation.
The key here is that machine can prove their own conditional incompleteness,
and experience things (by the qualitative difference brought by the difference
of the logic of G ([]p) and S4Grz ([]p & p).

For the Boeing 747, even the 787!, machine understand it eventually, it is pure
3p, even if it is 1p-plural, after assuming compuytationalism, but it is
entirely explainable in 3p terms. Not so for the proper theology of the
machine: the (G* minus G) points on things which have to be above them, when
the box “[]” refers to their beliefs (as assumed by mechanism where “[]”
describes their correct level of substitution). But all machine can do the
theology of the simpler machine, and see “empirically” if that is confirmed, in
the experiential (1p) way, and in some first person plural way (1p-plural,
locally 3p).

>> But the machine itself will not believe us, or understand this.
>
> Why not?  It can't prove what algorithm it is, but it can know that we
> know...so why would it disbelieve us.

Tha machine becomes inconsistent if it assumes its consistency (cf Rogers’s
sentence). The machine can assume a sort of consistency of its past belief,
like PA can add the axioms that PA is consistent, (or that PA is inconsistent)
without losing its consistency, but in that case it becomes a new machine, with
a similar theology in shape, but a different content/meaning for the box. She
has changed her own code (as we do every second instinctively).

>> Then in practice, the machine will transform itself very quickly,
>
> Wild speculation.  We don't "transform ourselves very quickly”.

Of course we do. For example, you just change yourself into a new “Brent” with
the axiom: I just read Bruno saying “Of course we do.” In a mail from 17
February 2019. You kept your persona identity, because we have define the
identity of the person through their inclusive memories.

Hi Philip (this is from the thread “Recommend this articles, Even just for the
Wheeler quote near the end”

> [...]
> those theories, to figure out some reality we bet on. But that is not unlike
> the Turing machine, which consulte only finite portion of its tape, and asks
> only a finite number of query to some Oracle.
>
> F=ma assumes already many infinite theories. Infinite theories are far
> simpler to use than finite theories, due especially to the abundance of very
> similar types of things, like photons, electro, water molecules, but also
> numbers, functions, relations, space, etc.
>
> Digital Mechanism is a finitisme, not an ultrafinitism, to be clear. It also
> an indexical, it concerns your willingness to say yes to a digitalist doctor,
> or yes to a digital teleportation experience. I just show that in that case
> the mind-body problem reduce to a body illusion problem in arithmetic. It is
> more a problem asked in a theory of consciousness than in physics. Here the
> theory of consciousness is basically the whole theology of the universal
> machine, or the one common to all sound consistent extension of a little one
> like PA. PA assumes induction, which we can put already in the phenomenology.
> From the putself, we assume only RA(*).
>
> Bruno
>
> RA = Robinson’s Arithmetic (often called Q):
>
> 1) 0 ≠ s(x)
> 2) x ≠ y -> s(x) ≠ s(y)
> 3) x ≠ 0 -> Ey(x = s(y))
> 4) x+0 = x
> 5) x+s(y) = s(x+y)
> 6) x*0=0
> 7) x*s(y)=(x*y)+x
>
> An even cuter TOE is (without logic!):
>
> 1) If A = B and A = C, then B = C
> 2) If A = B then AC = BC
> 3) If A = B then CA = CB
> 4) KAB = A
> 5) SABC = AC(BC)
>
> Both are finite theories, or can be easily viewed as shemes of proposition..
> The second theory is purely equational.  We cannot prove that SK = KI in that
> theory, but that is not needed in the ontology, where they are indeed
> different.
>

> Both theories emulate all Löbian machines, which you can define by any
> machine believing one of those  axioms, + logic, + corresponding axioms of
> induction. They are the machines we can interview on the theology, and the
> key proper theological proposition, well they can communicate them only
> conditionally to the computationalist hypothesis (of course), and some
> “dangerous” self-soundness implicit assumption. It is here that there is a
> theological trap (consistent in claiming that G* would necessarily apply to
> us).
>
> Bruno
>

> I was really talking about every theory considered has a finite
> specification. In Robinson Arithmetic (RA) above there are only 7 sentences
> listed. Of course an infinite number of sentences can can be produced from
> these via rules of the specification.
>
> One can have the axioms of True Arithmetic (TA):
>
>    A sentence S is an axiom of TA if S is evaluates to be true over the

Or better: an infinite “theory”. In the frame of Mechanism, I prefer to
consider such necessary infinite, and not recursively enumerable “theory” as
kind of model, instead of theory. I consider that a theory has to be effective.
Its theorems has to be recursively enumerable, its axioms has to be recursive.
The set of all true sentences of any Turing-complete theory is not recursively
enumerable, and is better to be seen as a type of model/semantics.

Initially I identify words, numbers, machines, finitely presentable thing,
code, software/hardware, as opposed to meaning, infinities, models, realities, …

Nuances are then brown au fur et à mesure.

> (Consider a theory of physics that just accumulated all sentences S that
> passed an experiment.)

That is more like facts, than theorems or potential beliefs of a person.

> But also what I am talking about are theories with non-quantitative domains
> (are not numerical at all, but are experiential).

The experiential (qualitative) domain is obtained from the relation between
(fixed point) semantics, but the one I used are intensional fixed point (like
in the second recursion theorem) than extensional or denotational one. In
particular the modes with “& p” is their definition provide the logic of first
person experience, which have a form of knowledge which are not definable,
indubitable, not provable, etc.

That is possible thanks to incompleteness; despite we will have []p <-> ([]p &
p), given that we limit ourselves to correct (souped) machine, and so their G*,
or G1*, will prove that equivalence, but the machine concerned itself cannot,
and apprehend that type of information in a non numerical, nor even
3p-describable way at all. Incompleteness refute the critics on Theaetetus made
by Socrates. Church’s thesis and Gödel’s theorems (and Kleene’s second
recursion theorem) rehabilitates Pythagorus and Neoplatonists.

> The Enactive Approach to Qualitative Ontology
> https://philarchive.org/archive/PACITT
> <https://philarchive.org/archive/PACITT>

I can understand you appreciate this, and I can agree with many ideas there,
but their qualitative ontology is recovered as experiential. When they say:

<<
The new categories proposed by the authors, then, point towards a qualitative
conception of matter, conceived as characterized by a continuous actualization
of the virtual, that in natural history proceeds as an underlying impulse
towards the actualization of possibilities and tendencies.
>>,

 they just add implicitly the equivalent of a sort of “reduction of the wave”,
for having their inaction selecting the histories possible/consistent. They use
an implicit ontological commitment in a primarily material conception of
reality, which is natural from the 1p view, but is better to be seen as
phenomenological, given that logic (incompleteness) imposes that phenomenology
for the machines first person logics.
Yes, that shows why it is hard for machine to believe that they are machine,
and actually the sound machine is correct when saying that its soul (the
knower) is not a machine, nor anything definable in any third person way. But
incompleteness explains why such feeling is unavoidable, and 1p-true, but
3p-nonsensical.
The universal machine, once she accepts enough induction axioms, knows that she
has a soul, and knows that her soul is not a machine. All such “enough rich”
machine cannot avoid qualities in the ([]p & p) and ([]p & <>t & p) modes of
self-reference.

With p sigma_1, that gives quantum logics acting as describing alternative
measurement result related to the measure 1 on the computations accessible by
the mind of the machine in the differentiating consciousness flux in
arithmetic. We get a phenomenological reduction of the wave without a need to
enact some of them in a reality/computation made more real than others by sheer
will.