> On 11 Feb 2019, at 09:42, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Interest in the psychical (experience, consciousness) aspect in all
> biological levels has sort of taken off recently, it seems.
>
> cf.
>
> Cosmopsychism, Micropsychism, and the Grounding Relation
> <https://philpapers.org/go.pl?id=GOFCMA&proxyId=&u=https%3A%2F%2Fphilpapers.org%2Farchive%2FGOFCMA.pdf>
> Philip Goff <https://philpapers.org/s/Philip%20Goff>
>

> Language is not experience/consciousness of course, but I think there is some
> sort of connection between the existence of protolanguages (of lower level
> animals) and protoconsciousnesses.

The presence of a language isa symptom of Turing universality, or simpler. I
tend to believe in bacteria’s consciousness only because of molecular genetics,
which shows them to be small natural computer. We can program them, actually.
But that consciousness is in arithmetic, and simple universal machine are only
their differentiating starting point, in their histories.

Now, an eukaryotic cell seems to be a descendent of small colony of bacteria
(and virus possibly), and a pluricellualr is a a colony of clone of bacteria, +
bacteria.

Bacteria still rules life on this planet, and that is for long!

Bruno