On 3/10/2019 2:29 PM, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:18:56 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

    On 3/7/2019 2:15 PM, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
    This makes a lot of sense, for in the biological world certain
    problems that are NP are figured out. This runs from ants finding
    the minimal distance for their trails or even protistans
    negotiating some space. Ants are good at approximately solving
    the traveling salesman problem, the classic NP algorithm.

    Not really.  The 'ants' are just part of an algorithm that solves
    the traveling salesman program, and they aren't accurate
    simulations of ants.  Real ants don't make tours of vertices and
    they don't go back and update their pheromone trail.

    Brent

I suppose I am not sure what you mean here. The ants crawl all over the place and the trails with the largest pheremone density tend to be those that are a solution or near solution to the traveling salesman problem.

As I recall, it said the ants spread out from each city and when an ant reached an adjacent city the "pheremone" intensity of that path was raised.