On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 3:18:14 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2019, at 21:10, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 8:56:54 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 18 Apr 2019, at 12:17, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 4:53:36 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Assume "our physics" is the Standard Model.
>>>

>>> I can’t. If that “model” (theory) is the correct fundamental physics,
>>> then it has to be deduced from arithmetic (and Mechanism).
>>>

>>>      Here it is in a few hundred characters (Lagrangian_{SM}):
>>>

>>> https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-what-the-standard-model-of-physics-actually-looks-like
>>>
>>> How does one "derive" this Lagrangian_{SM} from the logic of elementary
>>> arithmetic (Logic_{EA}) -- even given the translation of the language of
>>> Lagrangians into the language of Logic_{EA}.
>>>

>>> Yes, formalising a theory is not the same as deriving it.
>>>
>>> How, to derive it? By studying the “material modes of self-reference,
>>> that the mode of the first person self, or the first person plural self.
>>> How, and why is explained in most of my papers.
>>>

>>> Why should our SM be the one, and not an alternative SM?
>>>

>>> Because the sum on all computations is unique.
>>>
>>> That is the nice thing with Mechanism. It justifies why there is an
>>> apparent physical universe, having the same law for any universal numbers.
>>> It justify the existence of physics, and its unicity, even if it take the
>>> shape of a mutilverse, or even some multi-multiverses.
>>>

>>> If every SM equation is possible (not just the one equation above), what
>>> is "explained”?
>>>

>>> Only one SM equation can be possible (assuming mechanism of course,
>>> which I do all along).
>>>

>>> It makes more sense that Lagrangian_{SM} and Logic_{EA} are completely
>>> contingent hypotheses written in languages created by us humans to model
>>> reality.
>>>

>>> That would identify physics and geography, but with mechanism, we know
>>> already that geography is contingent, where the physical reality is lawful.
>>> Would all material mode of self-reference have collapsed into propositional
>>> calculus, there would be no physical laws, only geographical laws.
>>>
>>> Bruno
>>>

>> The puzzle is that if one looks at the literal SM formula shown here:
>>

>> https://www.sciencealert.com/images/Screen_Shot_2016-08-03_at_3.20.12_pm.png
>>

>> It is somehow justified by the data, and some theoretical ideas, in the
>> book by Alain Connes and Matilde Marcolli: Non Commutative Geometry,
>> Quantum Filed and Motives. That is page 167 of that book, and I am not up
>> there.
>> Yet, the main ideas are rather well explained in the more readable book
>> by Vic. Stenger.
>>
>> But both Alain Connes and Vic Stenger are doing physics, and so they
>> assumes much more than what is permitted when we assume computationalism,
>> where even the starting ideas of Vic Stenger have to be derived from
> [...]
That is sort of a set-up for the the argument of Philip Goff's book.

*Galileo's Error*
*Foundations for a New Science of Consciousness*
Philip Goff
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/111/1117019/galileo-s-error/9781846046018.html

If we want a science of consciousness, we will have to rethink what
'science' is.

Understanding how brains produce consciousness is one of the great
scientific challenges of our age. Some philosophers argue that the mystery
is so deep it will never be solved. Others believe our standard scientific
methods for investigating the brain will eventually produce an answer.

In Galileo's Error, Professor Philip Goff proposes a third way, arguing
both approaches are wrongheaded: we struggle to explain consciousness
because physical science, as we currently conceive it, is not designed to
deal with the issue.

Explaining how Galileo's flawed philosophy of nature created the 'problem'
of consciousness in the first place, Goff shows convincingly what we need
to do to solve it.

- pt