> [...]
>>> it to prevent a Turing machine, 100% similar to you at the relevant
>>> description level, to be conscious. This raise the question if some holy
>>> water is not also needed, or the will of some supernatural creature …
>>>
>>> Ostensive definition works very well, but not in computationalist
>>> metaphysics, as ostension happens in dreams, and thus in arithmetic.
>>> Physics is the science of measuring the relative plausibility of
>>> computations/dreams, and computer science, predicts quickly the many
>>> worlds, and the (propositional) quantum formalism, where materialism must
>>> still eliminate or dismiss consciousness and the mind-body problem.
>>
>> Even in philosophizing about consciousness you rely on ostensive definition:
>> when you write about "seeing red" or "counting" as conscious activities you
>> are relying on and assuming that it points to what it brings to mind in your
>> reader.
>>
>> Or even simpler regarding conscious activities: "how does the brain work?"
>> in the first place. The idea of the brain as a machine may or may not be
>> fruitful in terms of AI, philosophy etc. but it still is a metaphor.
>> "Machines work, brains work; they're both mechanisms, inputs and outputs...
>> so Descartes, right?"
>>
>> Convincing folks of the veracity of this metaphor as a computationalist with
>> such an agenda, you'd have to perform something as huge as "model/simulate
>> an entire complex nervous system, with neuronal function, at a single state"
>> + bring home loot, such as cures for illnesses and viruses etc.
>>
>> Show folks this, in any language or code, informed by whatever beliefs of
>> researchers/scientists working on any substrate, and then we may or may not
>> want to talk machine philosophy and identity questions. Go ahead, Bruno +
>> computationalists (that can perfectly separate truth from falsity in
>> reality, you guys that can absolutely, with complete and utter seriousness
>> distinguish real facts from fiction; as we've learned in this thread): show
>> the neuroscience community and the rest of us how it's REALLY done.
>> Everybody ready to learn around here, right? PGC
>>

>> I presume :) everyone here has reviewed all the abstracts, workshops,
>> posters, and sessions at next month's TSC 2020 conference:
>>
>> http://consciousness.arizona.edu/ <http://consciousness.arizona.edu/>
>> abstracts: https://eagle.sbs.arizona.edu/sc/abs_report_bysession.php?p=C
>> <https://eagle.sbs.arizona.edu/sc/abs_report_bysession.php?p=C>
>>

>> (Does anyone have a presentation there?)
>>
>> What approach to consciousness is missing from this gazillion collection of
>> presentations?
>
> They missed the hard problem of consciousness, that is the mind-body problem.
> Explicitly so. In a sense, they miss a millenium of progress in that filed,
> but this reminds us that we are still in the Aristotelian era (even more
> after 2000).
>

> The mind-body problem could well be intractable.

Relatively to which theory? Intractable is relative to a theory. Obviously,
with mechanism, the problem is tractable. The mind-body problem is reduced to
the mathematical problem of deriving the physical laws from self-reference
logic, and this works well, up to now.

> At least some of that work might lead to engineering solutions that could
> make the mind-machine metaphor more credible,

We should not confuse the use of some particular mechanical metaphor in the
study of the brain, like when saying that the brain is a neural net, or a
Boltzman machine, etc. and the Mechanist hypothesis, which assumes a level of
description of oneself where we are Turing emulable. Mechanist entails that all
mechanical metaphor are dangerous, and that is why saying “yes” to the doctor
required an act of faith. No machine can ever know “for sure” which machine she
is, and indeed, that plays a crucial role in the mathematical definition of the
first person indeterminacy.

Mechanical metaphor can be helpful in AI, or in some part of metaphysics, but
the mechanist hypothesis makes any particular one never provable. It is the
reason why I call that a theology, which really means that nobody can enforce
any definition of who or what you are.

Bruno