Am Do, 11. Mär 2021, um 18:05, schrieb John Clark:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 8:09 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *> So if 2+2=4, then thoughts exist.*
>
> But if I think 2+2 = 5 then thoughts still exist,

Which goes to show that just by adding the two words "I think" to an
interesting statement you can turn it into an uninteresting statement.

> but without the laws of physics a Turing machine can't exist,

The laws of physics are a human construct. Mathematically different sets of
laws can fit the same experimental results and produce the same results. I
guess what you actually mean is: "without physics a Turing machine can't
exist". If you mean a physical instance of the machine, then you are trivially
correct. Of course, Turing's point was not to provide instructions on how to
construct a very inefficient computational device. His point was to formalize
the very idea of computation.

So, if your claim is actually "without physics computation cannot exist", then
you are just betting on one brute fact to build reality upon instead of
another. Maybe you are correct, but I don't know if you are and neither do you.

Telmo