On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 3:39 PM spudboy100 via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I had read that spindle cells delineate consciousness, according to
> neurobiologists. Anyone see anything different?

Spindle neurons are very large cells, with their fibers stretching long
enough to connect distant brain regions.

I would think then, an equally valid explanation of spindle neurons is they
are a necessary adaptation in any creature with a sufficiently large brain.

Since we tend to associate consciousness with complex behaviors, and
complex behaviors are often associated with animals that have large brains,
I think may account for the correlation between the presumed consciousness
of other species and presence of spindle neurons in those species' brains.

At least, I think this is a reasonable alternative explanation.

Jason