From: Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>
To: Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, May 2, 2022 7:18 pm
Subject: Re: Is Artificial Life Conscious?

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 3:39 PM spudboy100 via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I had read that spindle cells delineate consciousness, according to
neurobiologists. Anyone see anything different?

Spindle neurons are very large cells, with their fibers stretching long enough
to connect distant brain regions.
I would think then, an equally valid explanation of spindle neurons is they are
a necessary adaptation in any creature with a sufficiently large brain.
Since we tend to associate consciousness with complex behaviors, and complex
behaviors are often associated with animals that have large brains, I think may
account for the correlation between the presumed consciousness of other species
and presence of spindle neurons in those species' brains.
At least, I think this is a reasonable alternative explanation.
Jason --
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CA%2BBCJUjNiiPu%2B-Zi%2BvbYJt7nmL874jFiAiF5WKvdtViSYY0CXg%40mail.gmail.com.