--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

[ paraphrasing in brackets: I will be very mad and hurt]  "if
> you are not banned for one month, or voluntarily ban yourself for one
> month."

=========================

I have long held, over some years, that personal insults poison the
mood on FFL (and any forum). Going back over 4 years, the FFL
guidelines have admonished their use. We have had more recent
guidelines that personal attacks would be met with time-outs. I think
this approach should be applied more often and pointedly than it is
for those who make continued attacks on others.

Challenge others' ideas vigorously -- but respect the poster for at
least trying to articulate their thoughts. I think we all learn when
posting, we "work it out". And some of our worse ideas get most
vigorously challenged by ourselves. So any post, no mater how silly,
is, possibly and IMO probably, a step, towards understanding. For the
poster and the readers (if they care to read insulting. personal
attacking posters).

Time-outs are good. In the passion of the moment, even the most
enlightened get carried away. Personally, I would like to see the
standard that if anyone feels insulted, the poster should excuse him
or herself for some period. Even if they don't feel that they lobbed
an insult.

IMO, good or neutral intentions don't matter if the result is someone
feeling insulted, and starts a cycle of endless retribution. And the
insultee closes up abit. Puts on more armor. Not the best environment
for sharing "deep" an often quite personal thoughts and feelings.

So I think Off has a good idea. If one has been insulted, and
expresses such, ideally the insulter should take a self-determined
time-out. Even if there was no intent to insult.

Wider, and more sustained transgressions I believe should be handled
by the moderators. Like Rick the Hammer. (Not that anyone is thinking
of calling him Rick the Chesse Puff, but enforcement does seem a bit lax.)

And if someone abuses the self-timeouts, by repeatedly "making it up"
that they feel insulted, this will be transparent. I think the forum
should then act. Calling for a self-timeout for the boy crying wolf.
If sustained, Rick-- Conan--the Hammer should sweep in with his OverLords.

Off felt insulted by my comment. As I have explained, it was not meant
as an insult, but simply a retort to a logical fallacy. None the less,
Off feels a one month ban is in order. OK.

To demonstrate and perchance set an example of behavior fitting this
forum, I will sign off for a month. Nay, make it until Feb 1st. And
hopefully, other insulters (intentional or not)  will do the same
(with perhaps shorter durations) if other posters feel insulted by
their comments.

Happy Holidays to All. See you in February.

New Morning