New.M., please take whatever time off from posting here that you want
but not based on OffWorld's comments and complaints.  His complaints
have no merit whatsoever, either real or imagined, and the lack of
substance, hateful tone and emotional imbalance his posts convey
(IMO) are pretty compelling reasons for him being banned from posting
here, even permanently.

There was another Tom person who also started threatening en masse
anyone and everyone who posted anything that he considered contrary
to his position and he was eventually banned permanently.  I'm not
sure what could have precipitated OffWorld's apparent emotional
breakdown but it's certainly not anything you posted and you
shouldn't refrain from posting because of it.

Just my 2 cents.  You are a valued contributor here and it would be a
shame to be denied your insights.

Marek

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <no_reply@>
> wrote:
>
> [ paraphrasing in brackets: I will be very mad and hurt]  "if
> > you are not banned for one month, or voluntarily ban yourself for
one
> > month."
>
> =========================
>
> I have long held, over some years, that personal insults poison the
> mood on FFL (and any forum). Going back over 4 years, the FFL
> guidelines have admonished their use. We have had more recent
> guidelines that personal attacks would be met with time-outs. I
think
> this approach should be applied more often and pointedly than it is
> for those who make continued attacks on others.
>
> Challenge others' ideas vigorously -- but respect the poster for at
> least trying to articulate their thoughts. I think we all learn when
> posting, we "work it out". And some of our worse ideas get most
> vigorously challenged by ourselves. So any post, no mater how silly,
> is, possibly and IMO probably, a step, towards understanding. For
the
> poster and the readers (if they care to read insulting. personal
> attacking posters).
>
> Time-outs are good. In the passion of the moment, even the most
> enlightened get carried away. Personally, I would like to see the
> standard that if anyone feels insulted, the poster should excuse him
> or herself for some period. Even if they don't feel that they lobbed
> an insult.
>
> IMO, good or neutral intentions don't matter if the result is
someone
> feeling insulted, and starts a cycle of endless retribution. And the
> insultee closes up abit. Puts on more armor. Not the best
environment
> for sharing "deep" an often quite personal thoughts and feelings.
>
> So I think Off has a good idea. If one has been insulted, and
> expresses such, ideally the insulter should take a self-determined
> time-out. Even if there was no intent to insult.
>
> Wider, and more sustained transgressions I believe should be handled
> by the moderators. Like Rick the Hammer. (Not that anyone is
thinking
> of calling him Rick the Chesse Puff, but enforcement does seem a
bit lax.)

> And if someone abuses the self-timeouts, by repeatedly "making it
up"
> that they feel insulted, this will be transparent. I think the forum
> should then act. Calling for a self-timeout for the boy crying wolf.
> If sustained, Rick-- Conan--the Hammer should sweep in with his
OverLords.