--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Maharishi's answer doesn't clearly account for, as an example,
Satyanand's stated experience of hearing Guru Dev's voice *after* Guru
Dev's body had ceased to function. Nor does it account for my own
current experiences of Guru Dev, visually and telepathically. [Unless
of course, one claims that Guru Dev hadn't attained Cosmic Consciousness.]

Interestingly, I remember that exchange at Humboldt, as I waited on
every word. And I shared the frustration I sensed in the person that
asked that question as Maharishi did not clarify it satisfactorily.

> A recorded lecture by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
>
> August 1970, Humboldt State College, California
>

> Student:  Today in our discussion group we were discussing levels of
> consciousness and this rose (sic) a couple of questions.  The first
one is,
> at what level of consciousness is it unnecessary for an individual to
> incarnate again.
>

> Maharishi Mahesh Yogi:  At the level of consciousness where the
development
> of the self is full. And that is…
>

> S: (interrupting) Is this Cosmic Consciousness then?
>

> MMY:  Right.
>

> S:  I see.  And at this point if the person leaves the body or dies
if you
> want to call it that and goes on to wherever he goes, does he have his
> individuality?  And if he does can he incarnate again?
>

> MMY: He doesn't go.
>

> S: I don't understand.
>

> MMY:  Cosmic Consciousness is a state where the small `s' has become big
> `S'.  Self.  And Self - big `S' Self – means unboundedness.
Unboundedness.
> Eternity.  When the status of the individual has expanded to
unboundedness,
> that is his status and that is he.  Hmm?  When the status is
unbounded, he
> is beyond time and space.  He's all over.  Once he is all over,
where he can
> go?  Hmm?
>

> S:  He's individual, but yet he's unbounded everywhere?
>

> MMY:  This is what the small self becoming big Self means.  In our
> meditation that unbounded awareness, that awareness, it has already
expanded
> to eternity, to infinity.  Infinite is the boundary of the individual
> consciousness, huh?  On the level of consciousness.  On the level of the
> body he is so many feet long and so many feet wide.  Individual.
But his
> awareness is so much unbounded.  When the individual is so much
unbounded,
> and the body ceases to function, then what will happen to that unbounded
> awareness?  Nothing can happen to It.  Hmm?  That It is `I' capital.
 It.
> Unboundedness.  And therefore, it doesn't leave the body and doesn't go
> anywhere, because being everywhere it cannot leave a place and go to
another
> place.  It cannot leave one time, go to other time.  So the
unboundedness is
> free from the boundaries of time and space.  And that is why a man
living
> Cosmic Consciousness does not go somewhere.  His body goes from
manifested
> state to unmanifested state.  The body goes, he doesn't go.
>

> S:  Thank you.  Could you speak a little bit on chakras and kundalini?
>

> MMY: (interrupting)  Now, now, now, now, now.  I'll speak more on this,
> hmmm?  To make it little bit more clear.  What is happening…  (a group
> enters the lecture hall) Oh, come on.  The poets enter the room now.
 Come
> on, come on.  I am having a poetic flight.  (laughter)
>

> Now how does CC grow?  How does one grow in CC?  We have known it is the
> growth of the nervous system.  Growth means transformation.
Purification of
> the nervous system.  Modification of the nervous system.  Due to
which that
> pure consciousness becomes permanent.  One example will clarify this
> situation.  Green water in a glass, green water in a glass.  Now the
sun is
> shining everywhere and the glass is in the sun.  The reflection is
green.
> This is like the small `s' self- when the nervous system is not
purified, it
> is green.  The water is green, it's not very clear.  Nervous system is
> clouded with all kinds of impurities.  Now that green water has green
> reflection.  The sun, sun shining evenly everywhere is not green.  It's
> neither green nor red or no colour.  It's colourless.  If we modify
water,
> green water being modified, green becoming less and less, hmm?  That
means
> the reflector of the sun is being modified, resulting in the
modification of
> the reflection.  The water becoming less and less green, the
reflection is
> becoming less and less green.  Less and less green means more and more
> towards the nature of the sun.  Less and less green reflection means
more
> and more becoming like the sun.  At a point, at one particular
moment, the
> water is no more green.  Completely pure.
>

> Still, the water could continue to be modified.  This modification could
> continue `til the reflection has gained the quality of the sun
around it.
> The reflection has become the omnipresent sun.  It has gained the
quality of
> the sun around it.  This is like Cosmic Consciousness.  The
reflection then
> is a reflection.  It has its structure according to the shape of the
glass,
> but that the quality of the reflection is the quality of the sun.  The
> reflection feels, `I am the sun'.  Hmm?  This is realization.  The
> reflection which had its an identity different from the sun has now
gained
> the quality of the sun.  `I am the sun.'
>

> Just like that, the nervous system, reflecting the omnipresent
being, and
> the reflection is of a particular quality.  Hmm?  But with
transcendental
> meditation the modification of the nervous system keeps on improving the
> quality of the reflection.  Quality of reflection keeps on becoming
purer
> and purer.  A time comes when the individual reflection, the Self, has
> gained the quality of omnipresent being.  Hundred percent.  The Self is
> Being.  The small self has gained the status of big Self, big `S'.
In this
> state, the nervous system, due to the nervous system, the big Self
can be
> located and yet it is unbounded.  When the reflection has become
like the
> sun, and the reflection has gained the quality of the sun around it,
then it
> is omnipresent sun.  It is the same sun that shining everywhere.  Yet,
> because of the glass it has its individuality.  So it is an individual
> entity and it is omnipresent sun both at the same time.
>

> Now, the glass breaks.  Water spreads.  What has happened to the
reflection?
> Nothing has happened to the reflection except that is ceases to be
located.
> The reflection that was here when the glass was intact was the same
sun as
> everywhere – it has the same quality.  Now the glass is not there, it's
> broken.  Where has gone the reflection?  It has gone nowhere.  It's just
> there, because it has already gained the status of the sun.  It's
there, but
> only it ceases to be located.  The individuality drops off with the body
> ceasing to function and the cosmic status of the self remains
undisturbed.
> Nothing can happen to the unboundedness.  Nothing can happen to Absolute
> Being because it is already non-relative.  Absolute is non-relative,
nothing
> can happen to it.  When the body drops, nothing happens to it.  It
doesn't
> go.  It doesn't come out from the body and doesn't go anywhere because
> anywhere it can go, it already is there.
>

> And therefore we don't talk in terms of death.  Hmm?  A man who has
risen to
> Cosmic Consciousness, we just don't talk about him in terms of
death.  We
> talk about his body ceasing to function.  He doesn't depart from the
body.
> He doesn't go anywhere.  Only for other people he ceases to be
located.  And
> this was the thing, even during, when the body was functioning.
During when
> he was living.  He was, he was there.  He could be located and even
when he
> was being located as an individual in time and place, even then he was
> beyond the time and everywhere in space on the level of his
consciousness.
> Hmm?
>

> What happens when the body ceases to function?  What happens?  The ego,
> individual ego had already gained the status of cosmic ego.  And
cosmic ego
> is there on the cosmic level.  So nothing happens to the individual ego.
> Nothing new happens to the individual ego.  Only that the individual
ego is
> not able to associate itself with the mind and senses and project
itself to
> the field of action and in the environment.  Only it's because there
is no
> means available for the projection of the ego through the action
into the
> environment, this phenomenon ceases to happen.  The ego ceases to
function
> because the means of action – the nervous system and the senses –
they are
> not available.  So what happens to the ego?  It only ceases to function
> through the senses because there is no senses.  It ceases to experience
> because the means of experience are no more available.
>

> What happens to the intellect?  Hmm?  That intellect of the
individual even
> during lifetime was one with cosmic intelligence but because the nervous
> system was there, the senses were there, the mechanism of thinking was
> there, it was able to think and decide.  This deciding, the
phenomenon of
> taking decisions has ceased to function.  Hmm?  Has ceased to be.
Only this
> phenomenon of taking decisions.  So the intellect is not able to
function.
> Same is the mind.  Mind functions through the brain and when the
brain is no
> more available, mind ceases to function.  But its status as Cosmic
> Intelligence can never be shadowed, can never be overshadowed.
Senses, they
> already had been fully developed, even when they were functioning on the
> isolated boundaries of time and place.  Hmm?  When the man was
living Cosmic
> Consciousness.  That time the senses were functioning.  Now the
machinery is
> no more available.  They do not, the senses are not able to
function.  That
> is all.  So only the functioning stops.  Nothing happens to these
individual
> subjective aspects of life.  Ego, even during lifetime had already been
> cosmic ego.  Intellect had already been cosmic intelligence.  Mind was
> already cosmic mind.  Senses had been fully developed.  Hmm?  And so the
> isolation aspect of the senses only drops off.  The cosmic aspect
continues.
> So it's only the individuality drops off with the body ceasing to
function.
> The cosmic aspect, hmm?  Remains.
>

> Cosmic Consciousness has two aspects to it – one cosmic aspect, the
other
> individual aspect.  The glory of the individual aspect is that by
virtue of
> this individual aspect, cosmic aspect can be lived.  Hmm?  This is
the glory
> of the individual aspect of Cosmic Consciousness by virtue of the
nervous
> system functioning normally- that the cosmic aspect of life is
possible to
> live on the individual level.  And this is the glory of the fully
developed
> nervous system.  That cosmic unbounded aspect of life is capable of
being
> lived on the individual level. Hmm?  It's a very great, it's a very
great
> blessing that the individuality can live cosmic existence, cosmic
> intelligence.  This is the glory of Cosmic Consciousness, and when
the body
> ceases, individuality drops off, cosmic status remains.  So one doesn't
> leave the body.
>

> It is said that the ego and the mind, they are already cosmic in
structure,
> even when the body is functioning.  And nothing can happen to the cosmic
> structure when something happens to the individual level of the cosmic
> structure.  What does it matter?  Hmm?  Cosmic structure remains
undisturbed
> when the individuality drops.  What can happen to the ocean if a
drop drops
> off?  Nothing.  So when the body drops off in the cosmic, cosmic
value of
> life only ceases to be located, that's all.  We don't talk in terms
of death
> of Cosmic Consciousness- he doesn't die.  Because normally dieing is
> associated with leaving this body and going somewhere.  Like that.
So when
> he doesn't go, hmm, his mind is already cosmic.  His prana, the breath,
> already cosmic.  Already it is cosmic.  Not that it merges into the
cosmic,
> no.  Not that the individual prana merges into the cosmic prana.
Not that
> the individual mind merges into the cosmic mind.  Because already during
> lifetime, the individual mind was one with cosmic mind.  The individual
> prana was one with cosmic prana.  Therefore, no new merger takes
place at
> the time of death.  No new phenomenon of merger of the individual
mind or
> individual prana into the cosmic mind or cosmic prana takes place at the
> time of death.  Nothing new happens at the time of death, only the
old body
> drops off.
>

> Nothing new happens because already all that was to happen to the
individual
> consciousness had already happened, even during lifetime.  The
individual
> mind is already one with the cosmic mind.  The individual prana is
already
> one with the cosmic prana.  So the individual mind is cosmic mind.
> Individual prana is cosmic prana.  Only the individuality of cosmic
prana
> which was due to the body ceases to be.  The individuality of the mind,
> which was due to the body, ceases to be with this ceasing of the
body.  Hmm?
> Nothing happens new at the time of death, only that the individual
ceases to
> be located by others.  Is that clear?
>

> S: Could a man in CC choose to reincarnate to help raise the level
of man?
> Raise the level of consciousness of man?  Once he's reached this CC,
can he
> incarnate again to help further the evolution of man?
>

> MMY:  Incarnate means come back.
>

> S:  Yes I know.
>

> MMY:  Now we have seen he doesn't go.  (laughter)
>

> S:  Take up another body?
>

> MMY:  So when he doesn't go, there is no question of coming back.
>

> S:  Yes, but I'm speaking in…
>

> MMY:  (interrupting) Anyone who will go will come back.  Go has to
be back.
> One doesn't go, doesn't… There's no question of coming back when he
doesn't
> go.  There is no question of coming back.  When his going is
arrested, he
> doesn't get a passport to come back.  His going is arrested, it
doesn't go.

> S:  Thank you.
>

> MMY:  Is that point clear?
>

> S:  Uh, yeah kinda.  I don't see if a man reaches Cosmic
Consciousness, and
> he leaves the body, and like you say he's unbounded, then can he
choose to
> come back to earth in a body to help…
>

> MMY:  The desire is out of hand.  He can't make a choice.  Because…
hmm?  A
> seed which has been roasted, a roasted seed, firstly it can not
desire to
> germinate and in case it desires to germinate it has no more
potentiality
> left to germinate.  Even if a roasted seed desires- firstly, he
cannot, it
> cannot desire to germinate, because there is no possibility left for
> desiring.  In case, by some chance maybe, it desires to germinate,
it can't.
> It cannot germinate because that possibility has been roasted.
(laughter)
> In the fire of knowledge, that possibility to germinate has been
roasted.
> Now a man in enlightenment cannot- firstly he cannot desire to come
back,
> secondly if by any cosmic mistake he desires, the coming back is out of
> hand.  That possibility is out of hand, it just cannot, cannot,
cannot come
> back.
>

> S:  Can he influence the relative world?
>

> MMY:  While alive he does in every way.  As long as he is
individual, he is
> living that cosmic life and therefore is a means.  His individuality
is a
> means to set in motion, to set in vibration that cosmic life.
Cosmic life
> breathes through him, pulsates in his, in his pulsations.  And this is a
> very great thing.  If one could set the cosmic existence to pulsate,
it's a
> very great thing.  And this cosmically conscious man does
automatically.

> When I am answering, don't make questions.  When I am answering, if
you are
> manipulating a question in the mind, then you are left with a
problem.  When
> I have finished answering, then you start thinking `What is the next
angle
> to raise?'  It will be very beneficial.  And if, when I'm talking you do
> strike with some question regarding what is being said, note it down
quietly
> and keep it.  When you engage your friend on your side, on this or this,
> remarking how beautiful it is, then the following two sentences are
gone.
> Don't formulate a question when I am, when I am speaking, uh?  Yes, go
> ahead, what did you…
>

> S:  I have no more questions, thank you.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2/6/2008