On Feb 7, 2008, at 6:38 PM, do.rflex wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Maharishi's answer doesn't clearly account for, as an example,
Satyanand's stated experience of hearing Guru Dev's voice *after* Guru
Dev's body had ceased to function. Nor does it account for my own
current experiences of Guru Dev, visually and telepathically. [Unless
of course, one claims that Guru Dev hadn't attained Cosmic Consciousness.]

Interestingly, I remember that exchange at Humboldt, as I waited on
every word. And I shared the frustration I sensed in the person that
asked that question as Maharishi did not clarify it satisfactorily.

At the time of "Humboldt" there was one widely disseminated translation of the Sat-Chakra-Nirupana (and other kundalini texts) translated by the incredible "Arthur Avalon" (pseud.) as "The Serpent Power". In a slightly earlier era it would have been (probably) banned as pornography -- but in the early sixties and even fifties -- people were innovating. It became a classic. And so a lot of people had a lot of questions certain others weren't expecting--and likely did not know.

People immediately got "stuck" on this "idea" of seven chakras. Lucky seven. It largely was imprinted from the collective dissemination of this book. The Samaya Sri Chakrins said "nine" but really there is no such limitation. All numbers are sacred. Different transmissions describe different illusory formulations. As one of my teachers said (paraphrasing) 'if you try to reconcile all the different chakra and elements systems you'll ultimately gain no benefit but you may go insane.'

Regarding early TMO pundits and "teachers": 'they certainly weren't no Acharyas'. :-)