--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hagen J. Holtz"
> <hagen.j.holtz@> wrote:
> >
> > Irmeli said:
> >
> > Practically every time they (the nuslims) publicly say
> > something, they make themselves just ridiculous, and show that their
> > capacity to formal operational thinking, or abstract conceptual
> > thinking, is poor. They combine categories in a wrong way all the
> > time. And this is not about belief systems. It is about where they are
> > in their cognitive development. And I consider their beliefsystems to
> > be the cause of their backwardness.
> >
> >   Irmeli, what you report from Finland fits perfectly into the
> picture, which we also have on German grounds with this "ethnic" group
> from time to time. So your description illustrates it very
> felicitously. But for all that I personally consider their
> beliefsystem not as being the main cause of their backwardness, but
> rather their lack of willingness to go one step ahead. And I think,
> that western influence has been contributing to this disclaiming
> attitude a lot, because the interests of the west had predominantly
> been of economic and earlier even of generally subdueing nature,
> living the reckless fruitless hubris of feeling superior. And now we
> harvest a little the fruits of our sowing.
> >
> >   Hagen
> >

> I have just read the book `Infidel' by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. On this basis
> I would claim that many of the Muslim beliefs are really weird and
> scary. Reading the book convinced me that these beliefs truly are
> behind their severe problems. I also saw that it is not easy to
> interpret those commandments in a more `advanced' more humane way,
> because they actually are very literal concrete practical
> instructions. And one fundamental instruction is not to question these
> instructions. It is about submitting yourself without questioning.
>
> Irmeli

All human beings are the same. They all have the same emotions. All
laugh when happy and weep when sad. There are no broad civilizations
that produce radically different behavior in human beings.

All are capable of violence. (Christians killed tens of millions in
the course of the 20th century, far, far more than did Muslims). Few
commit much violence except in war.

You can walk around any place in Cairo at 1 am perfectly safely, but
cannot do that everywhere safely in many major US cities, including
the nation's capital, Washington, DC.

Even the idea of Islam as a cultural world or civilization opposed to
the Christian West is a false construct. Eastern Mediterranean honor
cultures (Greece, Bulgaria, Lebanon, Syria) have more in common with
each other across the Christian-Muslim divide than either has in
common with Britain or the US.

And, Muslim states don't make their alliances by religion.

Egypt was allied with the Soviet Union in the 1960s, then switched to
the US in the 1970s and until the present.

Four of the five non-NATO allies of the US are Muslim countries.
Turkey is even a full NATO ally and fought along side the US in the
Korean War. [...]

The Bush administration policy is to continually insinuate that the
Muslim world is the new Soviet Union and full of sinister forces that
require the US to go to war against them. But at the same time,
America has warm relations with Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Senegal,
Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Qatar, the UAE, Bahrain,
Turkey, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, Kyrgyzstan,
Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, etc., etc. When
Saudi Arabia's then crown prince (now king) Abdullah came to the US,
Bush brought him to the Crawford ranch, held hands with him and kissed
him on each cheek.

This two-faced policy and self-contradictory rhetoric has contributed
to growing hatred and bigotry toward Muslims in the US, which is no
less worrisome than the hatred Jews faced in Europe in the 1920s. It
is dangerous because of what it can become.

Read the whole thing:
http://www.juancole.com/2006/03/bigotry-toward-muslims-and-anti-arab.html

=========

Most Muslims 'desire democracy'

BBC News, February 27, 2008
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/7267100.stm

The largest survey to date of Muslims worldwide suggests the vast
majority want Western democracy and freedoms, but do not want them to
be imposed.

The poll by Gallup of more than 50,000 Muslims in 35 nations found
most wanted the West to instead focus on changing its negative view of
Muslims and Islam.

The huge survey began following the 11 September 2001 attacks in the US.

The overwhelming majority of those asked condemned them and subsequent
attacks, citing religious reasons.

The poll, which claims to represent the views of 90% the world's 1.3
billion Muslims, is to be published next month as part of a book
entitled Who Speaks For Islam? What A Billion Muslims Really Think.

New policies

According to the book, the survey of the world's Muslim community was
commissioned by Gallup's chairman, Jim Clifton, shortly after US
President George W Bush asked in a 2001 speech: "Why do they hate us?"

Mr Bush wondered why radical Islamist militant groups such as al-Qaeda
hated democratically elected governments, as well as "our freedom of
religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to vote and assembly and
disagree with each other".

But one of the book's authors, John Esposito, says the survey's
results suggest Muslims - ironically even many of the 7% classing
themselves as "radical" - in fact admire the West for its democracy
and freedoms. However, they do not want such things imposed on them.

"Muslims want self-determination, but not an American-imposed and
defined democracy. They don't want secularism or theocracy," said the
professor of Islamic Studies at Georgetown University in Washington.

"What the majority wants is democracy with religious values."

Mr Esposito said "radical" Muslims believed in democracy even more
than many of the moderate Muslims questioned.

"The radicals are better educated, have better jobs, and are more
hopeful with regard to the future than mainstream Muslims," he added.

"But they're more cynical about whether they'll ever get it."

The research also indicates most Muslims want guarantees of freedom of
speech and would not want religious leaders to have a role in drafting
constitutions.

Those polled also said the most important thing the West could do to
improve relations with Muslim societies was to change its negative
views towards Muslims and respect Islam.

The authors said the conflict between Islam and the West was not
inevitable, but needed decision makers to listen and consider new
policies if the extremists on both sides were not to gain ground.