below

j_alexander_stanley@ wrote:

> Come on Edg, Alex shows a bit of kindness and you question it?  WTF??

Curtis,

Hey, I was just sayin'.  Miss not that I think Alex is a fine human
being, and that he's doing us all a big service by helping Rick with
FFL.

I guess I should have told Alex that I, too, was worried about Kirk
overposting, and I was crossing my fingers and hoping he'd control
himself -- cuz, more than once, he's quit FFL after having been banned,
and if he flits off in a snit, that would be a loss for all of us.

So, again, it's not Alex's heart's desire that I disagree with.  I
wanted to protect Kirk  too, but my desire extends to letting Kirk fail.
When my kids first started walking, I had to let them practice without
my holding their hands.  They fell many times, but each time was a
learning experience.

And, fuck, Kirk's a growed up man for crissakes.

If he wants to overpost for any reason or by mistake, it's his life to
run and bear the consequences.  In fact, since Kirk has been banned here
from time to time, we all get to see how stellar his soul is by the fact
that he comes back here and subjects himself to the rules once again.
If I were banned and thought of the rules being as unwise as I believe
Kirk thinks of them, I strongly doubt I would have the strength of
character that Kirk has -- I wouldn't be coming back.  My bad, but my
bad underline's Kirk's bigass modeling for us....a modeling that only
happens when Kirk "fails our rules."

I think the most Alex should do is what he actually did at first -- warn
Kirk about the limits.  Even that is "too parental" if Alex doesn't warn
others in the same way.

Kirk's a neat guy,  and I would suspect he'll come out with a "no skin
off my nose" statement and tell us he wasn't bothered by the "velvet
handcuffing."

But, growed up folks are nutured by tough love and "exceptions to the
rules made for the sake of a lesser endowed person" should be very very
rare.

I would be insulted if Alex did this "favor" for me. I'd be embarrassed
to get any special treatment, and I would take it that this was a
negative judgement that I was a mental cripple of some sort.

So, yeah, I elbowed Alex, and we got to see Alex's response.  And,
that's what Kirk deserves -- we get to see what he does if we elbow him
off of FFL for a week.  Adult stuff, see?

Edg

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Alex,
> > >
> > > Um, was that a moral act?
> >
> > It was according to my moral compass. Others may differ.
> >
> > > Where's your sense of "The Prime Directive?"  Must not we allow
> > > Kirk the right to "fail" our posting rules?
> >
> > FFL is not the fictional Star Trek universe.
> >
> > > Seems to me you did him a wrong by some sort of unauthorized
> > > "parenting."
> >
> > And, maybe I did him a right.
> >
> > > And, hey, do I get the same oversight by you?
> >
> > It would depend on the circumstances.
> >
> > > If not, then you're kinda saying, "Kirk's not responsible for
> > > his actions, and we have to 'contain' him for his own good."
> >
> > That's basically true. I had a very strong feeling that he would
overpost, and considering the crummy space he's been in lately, I
intervened.

> > > To me, whenever Kirk goes over the limit, I cringe, cuz I like
> > > the dude's stuff, but I think he deserves the right to see what
> > > his mind comes up with when he's banned for a week.  I'd rather
> > > see him banned and come to terms with that reality than see him
> > > "controlled by Alex" -- and, please note, I think you think you
> > > did him a favor, so your intentions are not the focus here.
> >
> > Your opinion is duly noted. Frankly, though, I'm more interested in
hearing how Kirk feels about this. And, if he doesn't want to waste a
post on meta stuff, he should email me privately.

<j_alexander_stanley@> wrote:

> [...]
I saw that you had hit 50, I killed your posting privileges until 7pm
Friday because I *really* didn't want to see you booted off for a week.