--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
>
> > However, they have been unable to convince any parents to bring lawsuit
> > against the local schools and the David Lynch Foundation over the TM Quiet
> > Time  issue so far,
>

> Ah, TM "Quiet Time",what perfect rebranding.  Who could object to a little
> quiet time.

TM is optional during the TM quiet time.

> Catholic Communion "Quiet Time"
>
> Santeria Chicken sacrifice "Quiet Time"
>
> Giving yourself to Jesus' salvation "Quiet Time"
>
> That works really well but I think I missed a special point of how to make it
> even more palatable for the schools from the TM pros.
>
> CC "Quiet Time"
> SCS "Quiet Time"
> GYTJS "Quiet Time"
>
> Now who could ever have a problem with that!  Those names just sound sooooo
> cute, kinda falls off the tongue.  And how many harried parents and teachers
> don't wish for a little more "Quiet Time!"
>
> One last one for a bonus point:
> STFU "Quiet Time"
>
> It is so funny to see Paul up there when his own TM practice is by his own
> description only occasional.  He hasn't bought into many of the self
> improvement benifits of regular practice.  His most regular practice is
> smoking weed, one of the biggest TM no-nos.  The first time he tried it when
> Bob Dylan turned the Beatles on, he exclaimed that he could really "think"
> for the first time in his life. His correspondingly weak praise for TM seems
> a bit damming in comparison.  But like most people who took TM, even if he
> gives it lip-service, he does not practice it regularly. Even if TM really
> was what is claimed, the truth is that people won't practice it regularly,
> even if they believe it works a bit.  You have to buy into the deeper belief
> system that includes more religious aspects for people to spend their time
> doing TM. And it turns out that this is a tiny number of people compared to
> who was initiated.  The lone TMer practicing quietly without the full blown
> belief system is a myth.

Not really. In situations where elderly meditators in rest homes  have been
turned loose with  no consitent followup past the first few months, TM is
still practiced decades later, unlike the other meditation relaxation
techniques,
even though all were taught using a format deliberately similar to the TM
program's.

And there IS a followup in the case of the TM quiet time thing. Its just not
formally associated with the TM center. Having the kids come in
every day at the same time to do TM is certainly more formal than what the
rewst home residents did, and they showed very high compliance yeras later
compared to the other meditation;/relaxation techniques.

> But these kids who I have taught in school, at risk kids, with so many
> sociological problems pulling at them that special education teachers
> struggle to teach them to read a menu before the succumb to gangs who offer
> them a family, these kids are going to do what millions of people with higher
> educations and incomes failed to do: stick with TM.

Again, giving them a structured quiet time may make more difference than you
believe. Certainly, without any evidence either way, ytour concerns are
premature,
and in fact, looking at the equivaent programs in rest homes and prisons
suggest they are simply misplaced. Given a chance to be regular in TM, including
having a time formally set aside for practice, most people WILL be regular
in TM practice.

> Good intentions aren't enough. And panacea cures don't address the social
> ills that are dragging down these kids.  But it wouldn't even matter if TM
> did work to raise them up.  They wont practice TM, nobody does.  And the
> movement couldn't care less about this fact as they launch program after
> program destined to fail after scooping up  a few bucks.

Are you really claiming that MMY (in his previous incarnation), Hagelin,
Morris, Roth,
not to mention Lynch and McCarthy, are involved in this MERELY to make money?

I think you're as far off in your attitude here as you are in your 'tude about
TM being the same as Benson's Relaxation Response--maybe further.

The long-term goal of the TMO is to have converts. The rationale for having
the converts is that the participants think that participation BY the converts
 will do the converts some good. It isn't JUST about the marketing numbers.
The participants aren't merely employees of the TMO with loyalty only to the
organization that pays their paycheck. They have motives outside of
marketshare for the sake of income for the imeediate benefit of the TMO and
its stockholders.

Lawson