On Dec 31, 2010, at 11:25 AM, tartbrain wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:
> >

> Thanks for the reply. This is a more plausible interpretation of what Earl
> said. If this is what he intended to say (jury still out for me)
> then I have fewer if any issues with his letter.
> Some comments below.

It seems to me it was part informative letter and part processing/catharsis for
him.

> > Tart, the mechanics have to do with what is supposed to happen when shakti
> > is awakened, and what happens when it's awakened incorrectly. When shakti
> > is correctly awakened, prana is controlled and directed to break through
> > the bottom end of central channel, rising in a straight, culminating line
> > towards the third eye and the crown bindu, the summit.
>
> Are you saying kundalini preceeds prana? If so, I suggest that its the
> reverse. Prana is first balanced in ida and pingali, this then enables flow
> of prana up shushuma (often this is mistaken for kundalini). Then, kundalini
> can awaken and rise.

No there are pranas which have to be balanced for kundalini to take the correct
route, otherwise it can (for some people) short-circuit. Others may just happen
to have the right balance of mental disposition and outlook so that they'll
awaken in a balanced way.

> >When it's awakened incorrectly, it leaves it's home at the muladhara-chakra
> >and short-circuits up the vajra-nadi (or another less likely route), which
> >directly activates the dalas or crown petals. When siddhis are directly
> >cultivated, it activates these dalas along with their associated brain areas
> >and virtually assures an imbalanced arising. It's the path of least
> >resistance for shakti yet it cannot reach the makara-bindu where samadhi
> >begins or it's culmination in the crown-bindu: unity.
> >
> > As samskaras and doshas accumulate in this new groove, the way to awakening
> > is blocked, and the samskaras of vyutthana, the outward-stroke, are
> > enhanced. As the tradition of Shankara puts it, the path to Unity in this
> > lifetime is lost. They even go so far as to single out "yogic flying".
> >

> I found the rapid and deep cycles of breath in TMSP much like AoL sahdarshan
> kriya. Huge amounts of prana are injected into the system with TMSP.

I've never learned the sudarshan-kriya, but always enjoyed the fast pranayama
in the TMSP.

> With regards to TM and channels, MMY said (I heard in person), ida, pingali
> and shushuma are very narrow, like 1/100 of diameter of a human hair. Prana
> cannot normally arise in them, it is too "thick". In TM breath becomes very
> fine, and this enables prana to become very refined, "thinner" and then it
> can arise in these channels.
>
> And separately, he said, as is common knowledge in most yoga circles, that
> pranayam (as well as asanas to a degree) balance the flow of prana in ida and
> pingali.

It's true, that can work some of the time with some people.

> So with pranayam, TMSP spontaneous deep and rapid breathing, and TM refined
> breath and prana, there appears to be all of the tools needed for a creating
> free flow of prana in the shusmua -- which then enables balanced flow of
> kundalini.

For some people that will work. Since there (unfortunately) never was any
research done on what specific predisposing factors (genetic, developmental,
environmental) were present in people with rough risings, it's hard to know
precisely, although private research (outside the TMO) has taken place.

IME, unless siddhi cultivation is harnessed along with either utter dispassion
and detachment or to generate a form of universal love of other life, it tends
to play against oneself rather than for oneself.