--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

> I am not sure if this applies or not.  But I tend to eshew things like
> beautiful sunsets, or "beautiful" days.  Or at least I don't get emotional
> about them. They are what they are.  I neither delight in them, nor ignore
> them.  But my bias is to not give them much attention.
>
> Kind of like the weather.  You hear all the time about how "nasty" the
> weather is, or how "gorgeous" of a day it is.  I don't care to make any
> judgements about the weather.  It also is what it is. I'll take it either way.
>
> I don't know what Pantanjali might be referring to when he says all
> experience is pain, (or something to that effect). >

This is from Bhoja's comment on that suutra (II 15):

vivekinaH parij~nAtakleshAdivivekasya *bhogasAdhanaM saviShaM
svAdvannam iva duHkham eva* pratikUlavedanIyamevetyarthaH .

Bhoja's Sanskrit is somewhat more "tricky" than, say,
Vyaasa's. My attempt at a "rough" translation of

bhogasAdhanaM saviShaM svAdvannam iva duHkham eva

...would be something like this (ITRANS'ish transliteation):

(To a vivekin, all) experience [dunno how to translate 'saadhana'
in 'bhoga-saadhana'] is painful like (iva) sweet food (svaadvannam < svaadu +
annam) containing poison (sa-viSam: "with-poison").

(As an exercise, you may try to translate 'pratikuula-vedaniiyam'
youselves:

pratikUla       a. adverse (lit. against the shore), contrary, opposite,
unfavourable, inauspicious, rebellious, inimical; abstr. {-tA} f. -n. inverted
order, also as adv. {-kU3lam} inversely, contrarily.

vedanIya        mfn. to be denoted or expressed or meant by (ifc. ; %{-tA} f.)
Sarvad. ; to be (or being) felt by or as (ifc. ; %{-tA} f. %{-tva} n.) ib. ; to
be known or to be made known W.)

 But I do relate to the part about having equanimity with all things that come
ones way. I don't know if that is Pantanjali or not, but I relate to that.