I like to use the "workability" criterion. Everything else is crap.
But the Ship of Theseus thought experiment has been helpful to me in mantra and
related questions such as the puja. For example, (ref. an actual case): -
somebody mentioned to MMY that he had replaced Guru Dev's picture with a pic of
Jesus.  We can continue per the Ship of Theseus model and replace this and that
until perhaps, we are left with mantras one can get out of a book.
In my experience, the most important factors are a. technique done properly,
and b. the Shakti. My TM mantra has a distinct perceptible amount of Shakti,
not possessed by mantras I've received from other (non TMO) Gurus.  So go
figure.
SHIP OF THESEUS from Wiki:
According to Greek legend as reported by Plutarch,

The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned [from Crete] had
thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time of
Demetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting
in new and stronger timber in their place, insomuch that this ship became a
standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things
that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other
contending that it was not the same.
—Plutarch, Theseus[1]
Plutarch thus questions whether the ship would remain the same if it were
entirely replaced, piece by piece. Centuries later, the philosopher Thomas
Hobbes introduced a further puzzle, wondering: what would happen if the
original planks were gathered up after they were replaced, and used to build a
second ship.[2] Which ship, if either, is the original Ship of Theseus?"