--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, William Parkinson <ameradian2@...> wrote:

> Hi Rob. What I found interesting in the pronunciation was simply this: books
> on mantra meditation that I have state very emphatically that the mantra must
> be pronounced absolutely clearly and correctly. I assume because they believe
> that the mantra is some sort of sonic representation, if not sonic
> manifestation, of the deity. Yet in TM we are told the mantra might will
> change as we use it. And the mantra should ideally be a faint thought--not
> something clear and strong in our minds.This was part of my interest in this
> varient ways of saying the mantras.

I don't know if this is the "ideal" or just what happens for many people.

Setting up an "ideal" certainly sets one up to add effort.

Also, see my comment to Vaj: as the nervous system changes during meditation,
the perception of the mantra may change as well. Does this mean the mantra
changed, or only that the perception changed? How can you tell? Insomuch as TM
is about rest, then worrying about such things is counter restful and therefore
counter TM.

And, it is easy to make the case that Pure Consciousness is the most restful
(least stressed) state of the nervous system: stress interferes with the
ability of the pre-frontal cortex to moderate the activity of the rest of the
brain. During TM, the signs of restful alertness (high coherent alpha EEG)
become very great, in the pre-frontal cortex AND between the pre-frontal cortex
and the parts of the brain that generally don't have that good a connection to
the pre-frontal cortex during stress.

Anything that you do that interferes with this resting state (e.g. being
judgmental about the strict pronunciation of the mantra) is going to be
detrimental to the rest gained during TM and subsequently to the long-term
effects outside of TM.

Another way of looking at things is to consider the neural-feedback model that
MUM researchers have proposed for how TM works: the effortless introduction of
the mantra helps set up an inhibitory feedback loop in the thalamus which
reduces the likelihood of sensory info passing throughout the brain. This
includes the sensory info from our external senses as well as the internal
thalimic-cortical loops we associate with thought, imagination, feelings, etc.
This leaves the brain in a state of only optimizing its own internal state.
Attempts to control the pronunciation of the mantra involve larger,
higher-order functioning of the brain which tends to reduce the localization of
the inhibitory effect.

Note that this inhibitory effect doesn't have to be profound (and probably
shouldn't be!). Meditators can respond to novel outside sensory input. Their
brains still send signals to the heart to keep beating. They are not bound into
this no-thought state, and when optimization activity starts to interfere with
the inhibitory loop they are drawn outwards into normalish waking state where
they perceive thoughts which signals them to start the process all over again.

L.