--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, William Parkinson <ameradian2@...> wrote:

> Exactly Rick. Which is not what some mantra works suggest. That is what I
> think is interesting. If these mantras are the 'sonic representations' of the
> deity, one would think they should be spoken, or thought inside, clearly
> and correctly. If that is so, then what are we to make of our TM way of not
> thinking it but faintly? What did MMY think of these mantras? Are they
> symbolic, or merely tools to allow us to go inside?

The mantras "fetch the grace of the deva" they are associated with, or
something like that, was how MMY described TM mantras 55 years ago.

My take is that you can accept this as a literal truth (some gods float around
waiting to be enticed to offer benefits to people who use TM mantras), or that
it is an attempt to explain, using religious terminology, some actual effect
that using specific mantras have on people, or that it is an attempt to justify
some ancient tradition that has no real relevance to non-believers, but since
MMY was a believer, he bought the explanation and used it.