> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <wayback71@> wrote:
> (snip)
> > From what I recall, there were 4 reasons MMY forbid looking
> > elsewhere:  First, to protect people from getting sidetracked
> > from the TM path and onto a flashier but less evolutionary
> > method. The assumption here was that TMers were in many cases
> > unable to discern the difference between the Real Deal and
> > lesser and possibly harmful crap (ie Robin Carlson, etc).
>
> (Carlsen.)
>
> Wayback, since you are obviously not that familiar with
> Robin's "deal," you probably shouldn't use him as an
> example.
>
> Without going into a long dissertation, possibly the most
> important thing to know in this context is that according
> to Peter Sutphen, Bevan said Maharishi had ordered him,
> Bevan, to leave Robin alone when Robin showed up at MIU
> with his group. Bevan ignored Maharishi's instruction,
> and a big public mess was the result.
>
> Robin and his followers were completely dedicated to
> Maharishi. Maharishi had kept his eye on Robin when he
> was teaching in Canada (at that point most of his
> group were TM initiators) but never interfered.
>
> Bottom line, Robin was an anomaly, not an example of
> the "lesser and possibly harmful crap" Maharishi wanted
> to "protect" TMers from.

I disagree.  I was around exactly when Robin was in full cry and while I never
went to hear him (and would not have bothered to being at the time a fairly
loyal Tm teacher) I heard from others I trusted how odd the whole thing was.
Whatever we have heard that MMY supposedly told Bevan, there is more to the
story.  It was not benign from what I heard from friends at that very time.
People OTP or even somewhat devoted to MMY did NOT go and see or follow Robin.
(Whether it is good to be OTP is a whole other discussion). Robin and his group
were not considered at all to be devoted to MMY.  In the end, it turned out
that Robin's group was pretty dysfunctional, at least in how they related to
him.  So, I stand by my opinion, that Robin's group was a good example of
something other than TM that was not a healthy experience, at least for most
people.  People have a right to choose to be involved in anything, but let's
not sugar coat that particular example.