Re " if it's all Self why not be totally wild and out of control and
provocative?": Why not? No reason whatsoever! The trick, of course, is
to be able to do it with style - like the inimitable Aleister Crowley -
and not get so carried away that you completely blow it  - like Charles
Manson. (To be fair to Charlie he had the shittiest start in life
imaginable; while Crowley was able to cultivate his image thanks to a
huge inheritance. I should be so lucky.)
Of course, " if it's all Self" - and it is - why not be bookish,
disciplined and discrete - if that appeals to you more?
The only rule is that there are no rules. In Eternity the Archangel
Gabriel isn't holding an emerald tablet with a list of dos and don'ts we
have to abide by. That's what makes the ride so scary.
On a footnote: if anything goes, then does it make sense to say in the
Declaration of Independence: "we hold these truths to be self-evident"?
If they're self-evident then why didn't bright spark Aristotle include
them in his Politics?