--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Ravi Chivukula <chivukula.ravi@...> wrote:

> "From the little I know of Rory he seems a sweet and gentle soul. And he
> doesn't deserve to be abused."
>
> Rory was abused - by whom, when, where, how?
>
> Dear Ann - I seriously hope you are not referring to me. I was rude and
> harsh - on purpose, because the nature of religious delusional beliefs are
> such, they are very deep rooted, people have so much emotional,
> psychological investment in it and I cannot leave them unchallenged. I am
> known to be abusive, but not in this case since as you say Rory is a sweet
> and gentle soul. But there weren't but sweet and gentle souls around Amma
> and many on this list as well and I had to be harsh and rude. Of course I
> am not rude and harsh to everyone - if it's a friend I'm still going to
> challenge gently and firmly  (of course I don't call their beliefs
> delusional but in my mind I do) and I have challenged however hard and
> uncomfortable it is to me. Trust me I don't particularly enjoy it. In this
> case Rory is not particularly a close friend and I preferred to chose the
> rude, harsh way.
>
> The only person I have given a free pass is a 64 year old Jewish gentleman
> named David around Amma, I met him after my mystical experiences in 2009 -
> I very much got attracted to David-ji. I consider him as a father figure
> and he was in charge of cleaning Amma's temple and I helped him and used to
> obey him unconditionally, first time in my life following the orders of a
> man in my personal life. So he may talk about Amma as Divine Mother and I
> give it as pass though I may address it in a roundabout way. I told him I
> attacked Amma online and he just laughed because he knows me and has seen
> me as the mad, crazy yogi, an iconoclast who challenges people, mocks
> people beliefs, push people's buttons. This challenge comes up even as I
> deal with family members - my dharma, responsibility to love, support them
> as a son, as a brother, relative vs my need to challenge people's
> delusional beliefs - it's not easy, I have to assess moment to moment.
>
> So there I hope this explains that somehow. Even if you were to come
> tomorrow come up with a narrative for spiritual experiences, a philosophy I
> will challenge it Ann even though I like you very much, but obviously
> gently and firmly. Same applies to any other friend of mine, I am not going
> to let any religious delusional belief go unchallenged.

Ravi, I admire you in many ways. You are a kind of warrior. I see some of
myself in you. I fight against and abhor many of the same things you do. I
recognize many of the same negatives that surround me as manifested by others.
I go about dealing with these things in my own way but respect how each one of
the people who I admire at FFL do so in their own manner.

I was not thinking of you specifically when I spoke of any abuse of Rory; it
was a general statement in response to what Jim wrote and based on some
personal correspondence with Rory. I don't think Rory was abused by anybody. He
is a big boy and can say and do whatever he needs to look after himself.

So no, I'll let you know directly if I think you're out of line or abusive. So
far, so good. Personally, I don't want to mess with you so I'll do my damnedest
to keep that formidable warrior part of yourself fighting with me, not against
me. Deal?