On Nov 21, 2005, at 3:15 PM, sparaig wrote:

On Nov 21, 2005, at 8:49 AM, sparaig wrote:

The spontaneous episodes of breath suspension during samadhi in

TM are easily interupted, by tapping someone on the shoulder or

otherwise getting their attention. How do you show that someone

is

truely paralyzed in your world BTW?

It's something you would have to experience, it's just the best

way

to describe it.

So, where's the peer reviewed research on the phenomenon?

Apparently there is and it's been going on a long time--since at

least 1955:

"The most accomplished among these seven subjects, moreover,

exhibited "progressive and very spectacular modifications" in

their

EEG records during their deepest meditations, including recurrent

beta rhythms of 18-20 cycles per second in the Rolandic area of

the

brain, a generalized fast activity of small amplitude as high as

40-45 cycles per second with occasional amplitudes reaching 30 to

50

microvolts, and the reappearance of slower alpha waves after

samadhi,

or ecstasy, ended. In summarizing their study, Das and Gastaut

concluded that:

The modifications [we] recorded during very deep meditation are

much

more dramatic than those known up till now, which leads us to

suppose

that western subjects are far from being able to attain the yogi

state of mental concentration.

It is probable that this supreme concentration of attention . . .

is

responsible for the perfect insensibility of the yogi during

samadhi;

this insensibility, accompanied by immobility and pallor often led

people to describe this state as sleep, lethargy, anesthesia, or

coma. The electroencephalographic evidence here described

contradicts

such opinions and suggests that a state of intense generalized

cortical stimulation is sufficient to explain such states without

having to invoke associated processes of diffuse or local

inhibition

(Das and Gastaut, 1955)."

http://www.noetic.org/research/medbiblio/ch1.htm

ITs really hard to generalize from an article from 1955. Scientific

apparatus and techniques have matured greatly since then. Also, how

do you know it was the specific technique you've been referring to?

Even if given the same name, do you know if the teachers were from

the same tradition? Telephone effect and all that...

It's just an example from 1955 describing samadhi and using virtually identical adjectives. Take it for what you will--the yogic tradition has been familiar with these adjectives from experience for much longer than 1955. It's just part of the way it is taught, when it's taught fully. I liked Rick's example he gave of the guru M. took his students to who exhibited the same state. M. admitted his students could not do this. Still can't or I'm sure we'd see it being used to market falling sales :-).

Recent research has been even more provocative IMO. It's all interesting.