--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "coshlnx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --You could be a Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist, without knowing it.

Are you referring to me (a_non_moose_ff)?

>  This
> is a "desire" oriented form of Buddhism, 180deg. in contrast to most
> traditional sects of Buddhism which have a stern condemnation of
> attempting to fulfill "selfish" desires.
>   In Nichiren's Buddhism, the energy latent in all people (ALL
> physically embodied people) can be used as fuel for the attainment
> (since this is a progressive path) of Enlightenment, by attaching
> one's desire to the particular mantra (Nam Myoho Renge Kyo).

I think I have a (missed)-connection to this group. The summer after
my 6-months TTC, I was in LA, walking down Santa Monica Ave., still a
bit spacey from all the rounding, when this volkswagon with two
beautiful girls -- college age -- roars up, stops just in front of me,
and both pop out and they gush vivaciously,  "want to fulfill all your
desires?"

I sort of smiled - mumbbled, "well, um...." and they started talking
about chanting what I think it was "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo".

They said, "We are going to a meeting, come with us."

Well, being a total stick-up my ass new initiator, I said, "um, well I
practice TM.". They said, "cool, come with us".

After a bit of discussion, I quite stupidly declined (wtf was I
thinking!). Something about purity of the teaching and not being seen
at other teachers courses blathering through my mind.

> Eventually, the chanting of the mantra coupled with the intent to
> fulfill desires results in one or more alternative outcomes:, such
> as...
> 1. The desire is Adharmic, in which case it will eventually self-
> destruct.
> 2. The desire will be transformed into a different desire.
> 3. The desire may be fulfilled or not fulfilled,; but regardless of
> many possible outcomes, the result, given time is:

Some other methods seem to use this. Danhur Ved?

>  HENDOKU IYAKU, which means "changing poison into medicine".  The
> poison exists as the pain of having not fulfilled one's desire, or
> the suffering of some known or unknown cause.
>  In due course of one's attempt to avoid pain and embrace pleasure,
> the idea is to transform one's desires from base heavy metals (lead,
> mercury), into pure gold and the elixir of Soma.

>   I chanted Nam Myoho Renge Knyo for 20 years with great benefit

What specifically?

> but
> now I chant the first verse of the Surangama Sutra.

Chant only, or offerings too?

>(The Surangama
> Sutra text is shown on the website Vaj menationed - text written by
> Hsuan Hua.  He was my first Buddhist Guru during the 70's. (ate lunch
> with him on a number of occasions...very humble fellow.  To eat lunch
> with MMY I'd have to fork over a mil. at least).
> PS: Nichiren Buddhists spend little time speculating on the nature of
> Enlightenment, but spend more time attempting to fulfill concrete
> desires right on our dinner plate. These are the stepping stones to
> Enlightenment, which will take care of itself in the due course of
> time,
> PS 2....(along with TM of course).  I doubt that Vaj's Guru Norbu
> Rinpoche has any individual technique which can compare with the
> effectiveness of TM.

and VAj says?