--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Premanand Paul Mason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A flying monkey and a shape shifting king of Lanka are quite
> beautiful images to be found in the Ramayana. So too is the
> idea that supernatural weapons might be used in warfare, in
> the place of conventional and crude weaponry, to be found in
> the Bhagavadgita. But in the 21st century we tend to treat
> such tales as makebelieve. If talking animals do not exist,
> nor astral weapons, then why should one choose to accept
> the descriptions of the powers of rishis or maharshis as
> all factual?

There *is* a criterion that would make one tend to
respect such descriptions in ancient texts, be they
from the Vedas or other traditions -- personal exper-
ience.  That is, if one has had the experience of
performing or witnessing such powers, then if the
description in the text agrees with your experience,
then you might give the text more credibility.  Same
thing with some of the "legendary" animals described
in texts of the past. One can treat them as fiction
only until you run into one. Once you do, the texts
are harder to be skeptical of.