> Ever watched a bunch of Gelukpa monks--who spend a lot of their
> time experientially investigating consciousness--debate?

No, but some how I feel exactly as if I have. The words bring a
detailed image to mind. And the Gelukpa monks is not a bad model.
Using the fine discrimination of the intellect to bring out subtle
points and distinctions.

Or the Socratic model. Asking questions, participating in the
dialectic can be quite enlivening. Was Socrates wrong in saying it
leads to the highest knowledge, to "Know Thyself"?