--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > " Just because he said he was enlightened, why did
> > > they believe it?"
> >
> > This is a deep point.  I'm sure you know all about Lifton's
> > perspective.  That is my guess.  My conscious rational mind
> > was not functioning properly.  Plus I believe the darshon
> > experience is real and powerful.  I just do not believe the
> > traditional interpretation of what it means.  People who saw
> > Mao described the experience in similar terms of people's
> > description of personal contact with a master.  I don't
> > believe it was because he was a radiator of pure being.  It
> > may just be one of those mental experiences that had an
> > evolutionary value when not deferring to the alpha chimp
> > could mean death.  Just a guess.
>
> I don't know 'Lifton' or what that refers to. My take on why
> people ascribe stuff to their teachers is they want to
> personalize their own inner transformation, and the teacher
> is a convenient...target?  lol.

I think you're making a simple thing complicated. In
many if not most cases the 'darshan' thang is not a
factor because many TM teachers have never met
Maharishi or been in the same room with them, much
less rank-and-file meditators. I think it's as simple
as the fact that they just paid a lot of money for a
technique that promises enlightenment, and they
hopefully assume that the seller is enlightened and
that their money was not wasted.