> I¹m taking tabla lessons and I record them. How can I patch a regular analog
> tape recorder into my Mac or PC so as to create mp3¹s of each separate
> rhythm I¹m studying? What hardware and software do I need? Would I be better
> off getting a digital tape recorder? Can in iPod serve as a digital tape
> recorder? I¹d prefer to just use a regular tape recorder, as high fidelity
> is not a priority.

You can use an iPod to record audio. It's not exactly great sound (its meant
for taking
memos), but it can be done. The main advantages are that its relatively cheap
($30 for the
microphone and no other equipment needed) and it plugs straight into a Mac or
PC via the
firewire/USB iPod link and iTunes software.

With any other solution, you need either an audio connector from the tape
recorder to the
audio-in jack or jacks with the right voltage/ohm rating, or a USB/firewire
connector.
Most/all modern tape recorders come with one or more of these though the Mac's
microphone input may not be the consumer standard since Apple designs often
assume
that professional equipment is being used. You can also get USB/MIDI
converters, etc.

If you already have an iPod, I'd get the belkin microphone (or whatever else is
available)
and see if that suits your needs since it's plug and play and one-step to get
it to work
(iTunes will automatically upload any new audio files you've created on the
iPod when you
plug it into your Mac (or PC?)).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/iDk17A/hOaOAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM