I'd be happy to revise my opinion, I am not attached one way or the
other on this subject.

Same with 'where did the TM teaching come from?', I don't have a
fixed outcome in mind for that either, though I suspect that MMY's
teachings were fairly predictably Hindu, until he got close to the
USA. Coincidentally, it was then that he opted for the 'fixed
donations' route too.