> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Bill (William)Simmons"
> <unclewas@> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you Sal.
> >
> > There seems to be an addiction to the flying thing.  She told me
> > many times things like.
> >
> > I wouldn't be alive without it.
> >
> > I can't get through the day without it.
> >
> > It is the most important thing in my life.
> >
> > I don't want to work I just want to meditate.
> >
> > Meditation is the answer to everything.
> >
> > She admits to being addicted to it and I have witnessed the
> > increased stress levels and nervousness if she doesn't have
> > her "daily fix". Irratibility, nervousness, short tempered.
Almost
> > like a drug addict going through withdrawls.
>
> What was she like before she learned TM?
>
> > Hell I dpicked her up from Huntsville Ontario once, at Maharishi
> > site up here in Canada and the whole three hour car ride home it
> > seemed like she was spaced out and everything was ,,,Maharishi
> > says,,,Maharishi says,,,Maharishi says,,,as if totally brain
washed
> > and programmed.
>
> How can you tell the difference between someone
> who is totally brainwashed and programmed and
> somebody who is so excited by something they've
> just learned they can't stop talking about it?
>
> > I've been reading a lot of internet sites of former TM teachers,
> > governors etc and a couple sites including one posting the
results
> > of a German Youth Ministry Study on the affects of long term
hard
> > core TM brand meditation and it doesn't sound like the "simple
> > relaxation technique this Maharishi guy sells.
>
> Just for the record, the "German study" is a
> complete crock.  If you're interested to know
> more, do a search on Google Groups in the group
> alt.meditation.transcendental for "German study."
>
> For that matter, practically everything you'll
> find on Trancenet is dubious in one way or the
> other.  Not a reliable source of information on
> TM.
>
> > I'm reminded of the drug pusher who offers a kid his
> > first "Toke',,,Hey its good for you, it'll chill you out,,,and
then
> > slowly he sucks you into harder core drugs like the "yogic
flying"
> > er levitating,,,er hopping.
>
> Most people just learn TM and go away and
> practice it on their own without going any
> further or becoming involved in the TM
> organization.
>
> It's also entirely possible to learn the
> TM-Sidhis and/or become involved with the TM
> organization without getting into a cultlike
> relationship with it.
>
> Some people seem to need to establish a
> cultlike relationship with the TMO, and
> unfortunately the TMO doesn't do anything
> to discourage that.

Well said.

And the above three paragraphs sums up how people like this person's
girlfriend get involved in what I can only call the TM Cult.

Which, as Judy points out, really doesn't have anything to do with
TM.  Indeed, I would say it's an aberration that attracts the wrong
kind of people and because it is NOT discouraged by the TMO, becomes
a haven for people who don't have a good grip on reality.

And that's why the TMO has become a cult.

If it wasn't the people around MMY would have protested in no
uncertain terms all the "off the program" directions he has taken
since about 1977.

> > When I first started dating me
>
> Freudian slip??
>
>  she was absolutely convinced
> > she "levitated" meanwhile I'm down stairs listening to the floor
> > upstairs squeak like hell as she bounced up and down on the bed.
> > One things for certain,,,she's got great thigh muscle
development.