>  I *never* encountered any
> teaching in the TM context about "blind devotion
> to one's teacher" or "becoming in tune with one's
> teacher's thinking" as "the quintessence of spiritual
> practice."

Although Maharishi may not have ever said this explicitly-I want you,
my followers, to become in tune with my thinking-he certainly
requested this, no, demanded it in every way. If you did not do what
he said, when he said, you were out, All things are done his way or
it's the highway. After enough of this, you learn to do exactly what
you are told to do.

Also, and perhaps more to the point, how many dozens of times did I/we
hear the story, either directly from Maharishi, or on the taped story,
or rehashed/recounted by Bevan, et. al, of how Maharishi put himself
in tune with Guru Dev and in his innocent, Trotakacharya-like
self-atunement with his Guru Dev, his own consciousness merged with
Guru Dev's/Universal C'ness.

This was told over and over and many Westnerns took this to mean that
if they want to rise to the heights of enlightenment they need to do
the same. People will tell you this in nearly plain English by
(selectively) following things Maharishi has said and parroting back,
"Maharishi said...."

I know for myself, many years after the fact, I still have that little
voice looking over my shoulder for everything. It's hard to remove it.

Many of the so-called TBers have carried this self-atunement to the
letter and many also look unhealthy and have strained in thei lives
for years. Far be it from me to critidize for this but I couldn't keep
it up.

Chaim